• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally Got Scope on Deerstalker (pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_1835.jpg2.jpg
IMG_1836.jpg2.jpg
IMG_1836.jpg2.jpg
IMG_1836.jpg2.jpg

This project started months ago without success so I brought it here and got many good answers. I Couldn't use all the great suggestions so this is my final solution.
First, I wanted this on my GPR but after rethinking things I decided to go with the shorter rifle. Weighs less and has proven accurate. The scope bases are attached using JB Weld as it got the highest ratings for strength. I didn't find anyone I felt competent to drill and tap and this was a quick solution. After reading here and talking to some of my shooting buds I decided to put a 2-7 Scout pistol scope on. The long eye relief keeps it away from the lock and also helps locate the target easier. It's not so close to your eye that you can see over it to make sure you line up properly. I used Weaver flat base mounts and rings. I got the windage adjustable rings just in case I got things a little misaligned. I should have had more faith in me as I didn't need them and they turned out to be a PIA. My windage was right on but verticle was wayyy off. It took me too many shots to get on paper because I was being stubborn and should have started at 25 yds instead of 50. My bad. Finally got it to zero after about 10 rds and I was making adjustments after each shot until I got it in the area. Having got it to the bull I figured I'll come back on another 40 degree day and shoot groups.
Another benefit of using this rifle is that it had a fold down rear sight so I didn't have to remove it and I can unmount the scope and I have iron sights ready to go.
As for devaluing the rifle, I don't care, let mt estate worry about it.
I really expect for the epoxy to hold. I got bright metal on all surfaces as well as degreasing. After 10 shots of 90gr 3F it's still solid.
I found my solution to front sights also which I'll post separately.
This is my first post with pictures and I did screw that up a bit.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:!
be sure to post shooting results. many may choke at the thought of scoping a caplock but one does what one needs/wants to achieve a certain goal.
is that rifle manufactured by Investarms? the wood looks like 3 or 4 of mine.
Sorry to startle you Deerstalkert. I went back to check my spelling to see if I put a "K" & "T" in my title. :>)
It is an Investarms, made in Italy. I have several and all the stocks were very dark. As for the scope, the deer come out about 10 min to quitting time. I hunt under the canopy where I can't make out my sights by then. (Other Post coming on that). My binocs tell a totally different story. Clear and plenty of light. I figure that scope will gain me 5-10 min of shooting time depending on the day. As for the scope-ready new-fangled pieces, they just aren't for me. So we adapt.

Looks like one Jim Bridger might have owned.wanted!
that loss of light has me losing those last precious minutes too. good optics are like shining a light on the scene. And you are hunting, not reenacting the pilgrims first shot at a deer!
ps. all my Investarms have dark wood with spectacular figure!

Urban Coyote, i apologize if i offended you by quoting you and changing the last word.
my intent was not to contradict you, i was just too lazy to write out what you said and add my thought.
my thinking is that Jim Bridger would have welcomed anything that increased his chances of success in hunting or in defense of himself.

The scope bases are attached using JB Weld as it got the highest ratings for strength. I didn't find anyone I felt competent to drill and tap and this was a quick solution.
i have found JB Weld and other epoxy type products to be temporary at best. Apply a little heat from the North Carolina sun for example and they tend to lose their grip. And at the most in opportune times in my experience. I would not rely on JB Weld as a permanent solution, but that is your call. Wish you the best of luck.

Well I'm glad you can see again and be able to shoot it accurately.
But my heart bleeds a little for the traditional aspect of it,,

IMO its your gun and your hunt. If you can't see to shoot what your hunting. Then why go hunting a wounded animal is way worse than scoping a side lock.

You can bet my rifles will go boom and will be able to see to shoot what i'm hunting. Or it will set at home.

I have a mate who put a scope on his benchrest under hammer rifle he built ,.38 fast twist 1¼" across the flats with a Fish belly stock no forend . He wanted to use the scope for load development out to 300 yards , but he did not want to drill and tap the barrel . He put a 6x 24 X Weaver scope with adjustable objective , which had been replaced under warrantee when it stuck on 24 x , in some rings with weaver bases out of my parts drawer . unscrewed the breach plug and clamped the barrel to a bench, bore sighted the barrel at 100 yards . He then got me to hold the scope steady while he sighted the scope . Then he pulled out a large roll of plastic food wrap and preceded to wrap it tightly around the scope and barrel , he ended up with a football size wrap around the whole thing with just the scope ends sticking out . He then replaced the breach plug / action fitted the fish belly stock and away he went . He did all his load development , cut the wrap off with an exacto knife . re fitted the iron sights and went and won matches . He put the unmarked rings and bases back into my shop parts bin and the scope back in my warrantee replacement bin . The scope never moved in 200 or so shots .

Morehops52, I did something similar with a Traditions Deerhunter because I always wanted one of those .50 caliber scary black rifles. Just kidding. This is actually one of the rifles where they painted the wooden stock black at the factory. Some day I may strip it and refinish the wood.
Deerhunter.jpg

Molded up some more half inch bullets for it this week.
minies.jpg

Ready to be trimmed and sized.

Another design for it.
500294.jpg

Haven't tried the Lee REAL in it yet.
Should get around to trying this old paper patch design in it too.
50 LRH - 450GR PP HB.jpg

Last night after snow plowing and knitting I gave my fingers a rest and broke out The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle to consult with Ned on a project I've got in mind. Soon as the book opened there was a picture with a scoped rifle from the 1800's in all its steampunk looking glory, hooked butt plate, false muzzle swager and all. I'll never have a rifle like that but I will have one that shoots despite eye scarring, astigmatisms and cataracts.
By the way, I might go with JB Weld as well. I've got some lever operated quick disconnect scope mounts and that could make washing up a little simpler.

Back