• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Feral Boar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To ALL,

While I'm a "fan of heavy loads & heavy bullets" AND I've come to the sad conclusion that I'm NOT "using enough gun" with my .58 Zouave with 530 grain Minies, my solution for HUGE feral boars (SOME are 500-600 pounds & SEEM "armor plated". = See my comments elsewhere on what it took to "put away" a BIG boar by a military game warden.) here in SW Texas is a BIGGER caliber rather than a heavier bullet/more powder.

I'm "thinking" a 12-bore rifle, with a heavy/custom-made/flat-nose MINIE is the solution for that task.
(I've been "treed" more than once by "Porky Pig" & wouldn't care to repeat that experience.)

yours, satx

I'm not a hog hunter so will defer to your experience but hear where we often rub elbows with big bruin and moose we very often carry a heavy belt revolver when shooting things that fight back with single shot muzzle loaders.
I routinely carry a four inch .44 Mag with heavy cast bullets for all manor of outdoor activity in the the critters back yard.
A Walker loaded to the hilt in a chest rig might fit the bill for you.

THANKS for your comments.

I've never taken a bear or a moose or even seen one outside of a zoo.
(I've hunted Blackies twice & got NONE.)

A critter that was still "breathing" after 5 rounds of .30-06 JHP from a Garand (in the hands of a post game warden) into the chest area is a "pretty tough customer", at ranges of 30-100M.
(The game warden was shooting from the relative safety of a pickup truck bed. - What finally dispatched the about 500 pound feral boar was a shot between the eyes from

Back