• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What is your favorite deer hunting load for your .54 Cal. round ball rifle?
Billk

100 grns ffg goex, .535 ball, walmart ticking material, bear oil and beeswax lube. Works on deer and elk.
If you're just hunting deer, 80 to 90 grns would be fine. The first deer I killed with a ml was taken with a .54 using 90 grns and the ball went completely through him.

TARGETS
50grns Goex 3F
.018" pillow ticking
Hornady .530

DEER HUNTING
90grns Goex 3F
Oxyoke wonderwad
.018" pillow ticking
Hornady.530

Hello,

hunting:

90 grs WANO PP
spittled wad
0.005'' lubed patch
.495 RB

target:

60 grs WANO PP
spittled wad
0.005'' lubed patch
.445 RB

I get the best acuracy with 75 grns o 2f goex, 0.020 cotton patch, lubed with 4 to 1 water to ballistiol let dry over night .530 self cast ball. I havent hunted with this yet, but I go for acuracy. I would imagine a well placed ball with this load would take down a moose as well as a deer. My 2 cents F.K.

Back