• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Easy Knife Handle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waco Kid

32 Cal
Reaction score
Here is a pic. Of my Helle Viking blank with my version handle. The handle is simple yarn ran through a cup of epoxy (hole in bottom) then quickly wrapped. Finish with sandpaper, buff, then toast with lighter after applying a coat of crayon in the right color. Very easy, attractive, durable, gripable, and cheap. Mine is mistaken for leather all the time. It is perfectly balanced at hilt.
Just trying to contribute as a newbee.

Attachments

• 20190619_150303-1.jpeg
    20190619_150303-1.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 205
Here is a pic. Of my Helle Viking blank with my version handle. The handle is simple yarn ran through a cup of epoxy (hole in bottom) then quickly wrapped. Finish with sandpaper, buff, then toast with lighter after applying a coat of crayon in the right color. Very easy, attractive, durable, gripable, and cheap. Mine is mistaken for leather all the time. It is perfectly balanced at hilt.
Word of warning, be prepared before you start. Ensure yarn wont snag or get bound up while wrapping, work fast. The yarn is unevenly coated giving texture, (dry & oozy) dont worry about it. After sanding & buff you toast & wax to get a good seal & feel. Hope that makes it clearer.

I can do traditional 2! O-1 flat ground, sabre ground + scrimshaw. Right handed skinner with TEXAS scenery. (Im a thread of one)

Got bored with myself so i read the forum rules. 1865? Think im probably safe with the viking blank design, handle not so much. Made about 200 knives & end up carrying a Mora or Helle. Both very old but utilitarian designs.

Nice looking. It is amazing what you can do with epoxy. I'm assuming you're referring to something like JB Weld? I'm a little puzzled on the crayon bit though. Wouldn't the color wear off after a while? Especially in this Texas heat.

Nice looking. It is amazing what you can do with epoxy. I'm assuming you're referring to something like JB Weld? I'm a little puzzled on the crayon bit though. Wouldn't the color wear off after a while? Especially in this Texas heat.
I use clear or light yellow 5 min. Epoxy in the syringe. Cheap & does one handle. The core of the handle is more compressed, very micata like. The exterior is less compressed & saturated. A combo of ooz, saturated & patially saturated @ the surface gives texture. The wax crayon is just a buff & seal for the less saturated furry areas. Toasting with lighter & wax eliminates fur & seals it up really nice, then just wipe it off.

Here is a Ripper style with same treatment. Camo yarn, shows more wrap, polished ooz texture. (Henckels pro s blank)

Interesting idea. A "Massey finish" cord wrap handle using yarn for the cord. Won't go with any of my period gear, but I have an idea for another project to apply it to.

Here is a pic. Of my first patch knife i made for my cva .45 kentucky kit pistol very long ago.
Pistol was very accurate!
0-1 , tan putty epoxy handle, flat ground on one side only.
New knifemakers should use this as an example, start small (not a bowie) dont be afraid to grind one side (one side or other is more natural for you to do) polish it really well before quench. Was gonna rubber dip over handle but left plain for scrimshaw i never did.
20190621_084903-1.jpg
20190621_084843-1.jpg

I like your knives. Knife making is an art (and I'm no artist). How about a glimse of the sheaths that you carry them in. Are you a leatherworker as well?

Here is a pic. Of my first patch knife i made for my cva .45 kentucky kit pistol very long ago.
Pistol was very accurate!
0-1 , tan putty epoxy handle, flat ground on one side only.
New knifemakers should use this as an example, start small (not a bowie) dont be afraid to grind one side (one side or other is more natural for you to do) polish it really well before quench. Was gonna rubber dip over handle but left plain for scrimshaw i never did.View attachment 11122 View attachment 11123
I like your knives. Knife making is an art (and I'm no artist). How about a glimse of the sheaths that you carry them in. Are you a leatherworker as well?
Most sheaths & holsters ive made are not even close to period. The patch knife is carried in a old leather wallet with chicago key screws for structure & security. Helle is carried in a simple Tandy sheath, buy 2 & barge cement to double thick & use chicago posts instead of gusset for security. Vets get a great discount @ tandy.

This belt sheath is a work in progress. Top retainer can slide up & off when not on belt. The sliding action could lock in a firesteel with add on strap loops on key posts. Could easily mount crossdraw or small of back adapter same way.
20190621_095443-1.jpeg

This belt sheath is a work in progress. Top retainer can slide up & off when not on belt. The sliding action could lock in a firesteel with add on strap loops on key posts. Could easily mount crossdraw or small of back adapter same way. View attachment 11124
Had great luck with CHEAP Rawlings glovoleum. Does a great job of preserving, stiffening & cleaning when applied. Just like early Texans i use whats cheap, available & most importantly works.

Those silver rivets in that one picture are giving me an idea.
The brass keyposts are available in silver color, open or closed end from tandy, vet discount.
My favorite edc is mora companion with belt clip cut off flush, then just put in front pocket. Could use a belt leash thru drain holes but easily drawn quickly as sheath snags pocket corner.
(Patiently waiting on 2 tc Hawkens, excuse me if i ramble)

The brass keyposts are available in silver color, open or closed end from tandy, vet discount.
My favorite edc is mora companion with belt clip cut off flush, then just put in front pocket. Could use a belt leash thru drain holes but easily drawn quickly as sheath snags pocket corner.
(Patiently waiting on 2 tc Hawkens, excuse me if i ramble)
My Hatchet handle "hack" is to use roadside dogleg table/coffee table legs. Cheap, lots of extra meat to work with, rasp & sand to your specs, torch & wax. Ideal for interesting heads in less than ideal shape.
20190621_102649-1.jpeg

Heres the simplest holster ever. Take a sheet of loose leaf paper, fold in quarters. Remove one quarter & u have pattern for leather. Cut leather for appropriate side out & left or right hand. Dry fold to get squared up for key posts. Now u have a basic flap holster to wet mold & carve to specs. I liked mine square, loose looped, carries very well. More than enough leather at start to do what you want. Glovoleum finish. Harbot freight has a good stitcher cheap! Great for smaller items.
20190621_132928-1.jpg
20190621_132941-1.jpg

Back