• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

EARLY ML SEASON IN WV

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbuckbuster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
WAS JUST WONDERING HOW MANY OF MY FELLOW MT-ERS WOULD LIKE TO SEE A EARLY ML SEASON? I AM NOT AFTER KILLING MORE DEER JUST MORE CHANCE OR BETTER CHANCE TO GO. MAYBE THE DNR COULD MOVE THE SEASON FROM BEING THE LAST ONE TO BEFORE ANTLERLESS SEASON OR MAKE IT FLINTLOCK ONLY! THE WV BOWHUNTERS ASS. WANTS TO BE THE ONLY TRIBE IN THE WOODS BEFORE RIFLE SEASON SO IT WOULD BE AND UPHILL BATTLE FOR SURE BUT STRANGER THINGS HAVE HAPPENED! :hmm:

I'd like to see a flintlock only season of at least 3 days sometime before regular season, but I don't see it happening. I believe there has been some movement afoot to do it, but the bowhunters have said loud and clear that the woods belong to them before Thanksgiving. Our problem is, in this state you could probably count the flintlock hunters with the fingers on your hands. If you pull your boots off and use your toes, you can add traditional sidelock percussion hunters. So you can see why we don't have enough clout. On the other hand, since there are so few of us, we shouldn't threaten the sanctity of the bowhunter's space.

I'm afraid the only way to get an early season for flinters here is if you just make up your own and run the risk. Rather doubt that it would be worth it. That being said, you probably know as well as I do that many hunters have been doing that for years, especially in the coal fields and that's one reason why firearms hunting of deer is closed in 4 southern counties. :(

You are right about the bow hunters! I used to bow hunt but their outlook was one of the reasons I don't anymore. Maybe we can find some elected rep. or senator to plead our case. The 2 answers I use to get when bringing the early season up before those public DNR meetings was that I could use my ml in regular season and we can't kill that buck but so many times. Don't want to kill more just more chances to go hunting!Wonder how some of the hunters would like it here if we were as PA 1 buck only no matter what season taken in. Let's keep plugging on this thing you never know. :hmm:

Ranger,

Why be so limited? Open a season for ALL sidelock roundball guns. That lets in the GPRs, Hawkens, REAL Hawkins, Lemans etc, and the percussion era replica PA rifles. Then you may get the numbers you need. I have no problem with a guy using a Hawken or Leman in the same primitive season with my TN flinter.

-Ray :wink:

Actually, I don't either. I've killed more deer with percussion guns than I have with flint. (mostly with rifle-musket and Whitworth). I came up with that because the inline hunters would argue that they are shooting percussion guns too. To all but flint shooters, flintlocks are much more "primitive".

I have no problem at all with using percussion rifles in an early season as long as they are traditional sidelocks using whatever projectile that was used in muzzleloading weapons in the 19th Century or earlier.

The WAS what we had in NY State until the cheatlines showed up. You CAN'T get it through anyone's head unless they too are buckskinners that the season was never meant for ANYTHING but 19th century black powder guns using loose powder and lead. The trolls at the game depts. can't see past the extra tags they sell and those electronic bordellos called "Hunting Shows" are little more than informercials for cheatlines.

I recall 25 years ago Sports Afield had a one season TV show that showed HUNTING. Even the archery shows had a mix of traditional and high tech. They even showed a bunch of guys in the hollers including Hershel House firing flinters that shot better than many caplocks. That got me to try flint. :v

-Ray

We have a muzzleloader season here in CO in sept man no better time to be in the woods with a smoke pole.

Originally in Kansas we had a Primitive Black Powder season. Then it became a Muzzleloader season so the the rich boys could get their plastic and stainless guns in the action and get an extra week of hunting.

It is in September also. I have taken my largest bucks then. You are only allowed 1 buck tag for the year. If you fill it in September, then you have to use doe tags if you want to hunt the later rifle season.

First of all I want to thank each and everyone for their thoughts. I too was not trying to rule out cap locks just thought it might go over better with the WV DNR if season was limited to flint. Cap or flint (enjoy them both) I would like to see the ml season moved to before buck season if not at least before antlerless.

I didn't get to make it to one of the regional DNR meetings but was told the subject of an early ML season was discussed. You can download a comment form from the WVDNR web site and have until April 11th. to mail it in. Sent mine off last week. For the price of a stamp you can let your voice be heard! Go for it Mnt. Ers!!!!!

where do i find this? would love to have an early ML season, even for a couple days
thanks

It took me a bit of searching on that site to find it but I did. I've got it printed so I'd better get it filled out. Thanks for letting us know about this. I missed the meetings here too.

I don't know how far it'll get us, but we won't know if we don't try!

:hatsoff:

Here's a muzzleloader definition that would be easily understood & enforced for a special season: a rifle loaded from muzzle using black powder or imitation BP in loose form, single all lead projectile, no sabots, flint or percussion ignition only, iron sights only. I think this would let some inlines be used (as many have bought them).
(Maybe flint only would have a better chance of an early season).
As SK was saying, NY's early season in Southern zone has been thwarted by the bowhunter's. I pay same $$ for ML tag as bowhunter's & get the last 9 days for a special season. (There is an early season in northern zone).
Do you think WV would pay any attention to a non-resident's view?
Good luck.

I hope you guys get the ball rolling.
Here in CT., the bowhunting boys have a season nearly 4 months long while us ML hunters get a 13 day season, in mid-December to boot. :bull:

"Do you think WV would pay any attention to a non-resident's view?"

They might if they think you will pay big bucks for a non-resident license. But I doubt that a "traditional ML" early season has a chance against the bowhunters. I don't know how many hunters use flint or percussion sidehammer guns here, but would say only a very few compared to inlines and a very, very few compared to bows. So we don't have much going for us in the way of clout. But, who knows? There may be somebody in high places who feels as we do, though if they were to give us even a short season, they're sure to catch a bunch of flak over it.

I think it would take a great deal of support from us muzzleloader nuts. BUT count me in. :thumbsup: Early season could be possible if they added a recruve/long bow season with flint/cap season? :hmm:

Fellow gave me an intresting idea today. He said with the DNR getting hard up for money maybe it could be brought to their attention to charge an extra fee for a early ML season. Not sure how that would go over with them or those of us who want an early season. What does everyone think? :hmm:

wvbuckbuster said:
Fellow gave me an intresting idea today. He said with the DNR getting hard up for money maybe it could be brought to their attention to charge an extra fee for a early ML season. Not sure how that would go over with them or those of us who want an early season. What does everyone think? :hmm:

Remembering ALWAYS that Governments job is making sure that Government has a job and taking YOUR $$ is thier main objective. Dang right they would take it...They would tripple your regular hunting fees right now if they thought that they could get away with it.

Back