• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drillbit for knife handle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a carbon steel blade from Atlanta Cutlery to make me a ball handled knife, got the blade an handle shaped like I want it but the predrilled holes don't align now so need to drill a couple of new ones, problem I'm having is its eating up my drill bits, I bought some titanium drill bits a lowes yesterday and they started to drill then just started squalling and spinning with out cutting, putting oil on it an trying it doesn't work, I can't anneal the thing cause I've no way to re-temper it does anyone know of a bit I might use to drill this thing, don't know what type of carbon steel the blade is but is definitely is good.
Chris

How fast were you running the drill bit? For harder materials, you need to run slower, and constant cooling.

if i were in your situation i think i would indeed anneal it . you can anneal the handle w/o heating up the whole pc of steel . Id heat the area i needed to drill and slow cool it in ash from my woodstove . that should make drilling easy . heat and quench to re harden , temper in the oven . if your worried about the heat traveling where you dont want it , there are a number of ways to keep it from overheating . some as simple as covering it w/ a wet rag . this is not high end science here , its just the way i would do it .

Clamp your blade in a vise with metal jaws with the handle end up. Heat with a torch until bright red and place allow to air cool or bury in cat litter/sand/ashes to cool slower. This will anneal the handle area (unless it is some weird alloy).

The metal of the vise serves as a heat sink and the blade won't get hot enough to ruin the temper.

There is NO reason to heat treat the tang of a knife blade that hold the handle to the cutting edge of the knife.

However, commercial knife blades are mass made, and mass heat treated, so you get tangs that are hard as the blade is.

To DRILL the tang for the handle cross-pins:

1. Clamp the blade into the jaws of a bench vise. The jaws will act as a heat SINK, drawing heat away from the blade. Have the tang you want to drill above the top of the jaws of the bench vise. If you have a tang longer than 3 inches, then "choke up" on the tang when drilling pin holes in the upper portion of the tang.

2. Now, heat that tang up RED HOT. I use a propane torch, but a Mapp Gas torch, or Acetylene Torch will do the job as well.

3. Drill the holes for the pins when the metal is Red hot. A standard high carbon drill bit will cut through the toughest steel as if you were drilling balsa wood.Have a friend or relative stand by to put oil on the drill bit so it doesn't over heat, but if alone, put oil on the flutes of the bit before you begin to drill. It simply takes only seconds to put the hole through the tang.

4. I leave the tang return to room temperature in the vise. The Alloy steel( stainless steel?) tangs remain tough, and hard. But, I suppose, if you are going to worry about heat getting down to the blade, then take a wet- very wet-- rag and slap in onto the tang to cool it rapidly.

I bought several "laminated steel" blades from a company that advertised in Muzzle Blasts, more than 30 years ago, and made two "patch knives" with them, and some antler tines I had. I burned up a Carbon steel drill bit trying to drill the holes after using a center punch to mark the holes. I also hurt my arm, shoulder, and back pushing so hard I actually rocked my work bench up with about 300 lbs. of bricks sitting on the lower shelf to hold it down. The next day, I drove to a hardware store, where I visited the " Commercial Counter"- the area set aside to service building contractors. The clerk there recommend several different bits, including one- a very EXPENSIVE ONE-- with a Carbide TIP on it, to try. I bought 4 bits- one to replace the one I ruined, one to use on this project, again( and assuming I ruined it to throw away) a much more expensive, high carbon drill bit, and the carbide bit.

On the way home, I recalled watching a Wheelwright demonstrating how he put a steel tire on a wooden wagon wheel, at the Lincoln Homestead South of Charleston, Illinois. He heated the 1/4" thick steel "tire" up in his forge, and then PUNCHED a hole into the end of the strip using a punch "hardy", With one HAMMER BLOW per side, or two blows per HOLE! Incredible to see the first time. He was knocking out holes for rivets that he used to join the two ends of the "tire" to make a ring that fit over the wooden wheel frame. Now, he beveled the edges, after the holes were punched, and before the rivets were placed in the tire, and there was much more hammering of that large ring( 48 inch in diameter!) Before he was ready to heat the entire tire up to stretch it over the wood wheel, but I never forgot watching how easily he punched- NOT DRILLED-- the holes for those rivets.

AHA! I decided right then that I was Not going to use those expensive drill bits to drill those hard tangs, until I first tried what I have described above.

IT WORKS. :hatsoff:

Use the appropriate sized carbide bit and cool it with soda water. Also, mind your feed pressure carefully. Feed the bit just fast enough to generate chips from the hole.

If you want to reshape the handle at all then annealing it is good so you can match your scales and tang easily by filing.

I might also add: try a smaller bit first, and then step up. You'll find a smaller bit (still going slow with oil) will often times work better, and then the larger bit has an easier go of it.

Back