• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double cavity bullet molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I didn't have a choice with my .40, (single cavity only for some reason) but looking at getting a bullet mold for my .54 and noticed that Lee offers the .530 mold in single and double cavity. Any disadvantages to the double cavity variety?

apart from being quicker to produce projectiles in a quicker fashion no.
I have heard in rare cases that the different cavaties throw a slightly different weight by a few grains but for average person throwing lead down the range will not make a difference.

AZ, I prefer double cavity moulds, mainly because I can make em twice as fast.

I quit buying Lee moulds because the aluminum blocks didn't hold up for me. RCBS has been my favorite for years but they no longer make a .530 RB mould.

GW

Thanks guys. The doubles make sense to me, too. Just wondering if there was a "catch." But looks like they are the way to go.

Rebel said:
Ohh good, now he will be a faster caster, followed after some experience by master, faster, caster. :grin:

That's better than becoming a master of putting a worm on a hook. :rotf:

I think Lyman still makes 4 cav. molds. I have a Lyman 4 cav. .490 and all 4 cavs. mike the same.
Sure speeds up the casting.

I have a Lee .400 double cavity mould that works very well. It is a chore to load, but the increase in accuracy is worth the effort at times.

I also have a Lee .495 double that works very well in my .50s.

I have seen no difference in weight or shape between the 2 cavities in spite of looking for any sign.

I pay the extra and get the double when they are available.

Mike's Reloading is where I got my .400. He had a bunch custom made by Lee and was selling them for just a couple dollars over the regular Lee list price. I understood that Lee was considering stocking the .400 again, but this was a few years ago and I am not sure if that happened or not.

CS

Back