• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixon's muzzleloading shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard so much about the gunmakers fair, but what about the shop itself? Wondering what kind of gun inventory they carry, custom, used, production, kits etc.? Deciding if it is worth the two hour drive. Thanks for any help.

Custom? Yes.
Used? Yes.
Production? Yes.
Antique? Yes.
Pieces? Yes.
Kits? Yes.
Parts? Yes.
Books? Yes.
Videos? Yes.
Possibles? Yes.
And friendly, helpful people who know them all inside and out.

That just about covers it.

It's worth a 20 hour drive (round trip). I've done it.

Trot said:
I have heard so much about the gunmakers fair, but what about the shop itself? Wondering what kind of gun inventory they carry, custom, used, production, kits etc.? Deciding if it is worth the two hour drive. Thanks for any help.

Yes, and more. Take money, lots of it.

No web page with a catalog, but one with a few photos and contact info.
http://dixonmuzzleloading.com/

God bless

Last edited by a moderator:
Trot said:

The shop is easily worth a two hour drive.

You can combine your trip with an ML shoot. Depending on the time of year you will find at least 2-3 ML shoots within one hour's drive of Dixon's.

You can combine a trip to Dixon's with a trip to Cabela's or a stop to Deitrich's Meats or any of the local fresh produce stands in the area.

Don't even hesitate. :thumbsup:

Leo

It is probably more fun that a person can stand in a day. Some of the nicest people and most knowledgeable on the planet are there. It is well worth the drive. Enjoy!
slash

A trip to Dixon's is well worth such a short drive. I drove 14 hours to get there for the Gunmaker's Fair, both ways. Take money, as you find dozens of items you "want" and didn't have on your shopping list. Go on the Website for Dixon's and check out the pictures of the inside of the store, if you don't want to believe us. :surrender: :thumbsup:

I guess it is unanimous then, thanks! I have a crazy job, I work seven days a week and on call 24 hours a day from the end of May until Labor day. No days off, so the fair is out of the question, got time off in the winter though so I thought I might make the trip. Thanks again.

Old Salt said:
Trot said:

The shop is easily worth a two hour drive.

You can combine your trip with an ML shoot. Depending on the time of year you will find at least 2-3 ML shoots within one hour's drive of Dixon's.

You can combine a trip to Dixon's with a trip to Cabela's or a stop to Deitrich's Meats or any of the local fresh produce stands in the area.

Don't even hesitate. :thumbsup:

Leo

Why not make it a hat trick. After Dixon's and Deitrich's, have lunch at the Krumsville Inn. Have the cheesesteak classic with the works, and the hand cut fries. BTW, Deitrich's does great venison processing. They've been doing mine for 25 years.

Duane

I agree. You won't understand until you eat at the restaurant( Inn), and then drive over next door to Dietrich's and walk in the place. Definitely worth the stop. :thumbsup: Yeah, the 4 way stop is really called Krumsville! :shocked2: :rotf: :hmm: :hatsoff: Its between the Interstate( I-78) And Dixon's.

Dixons is about three miles north of the Krumsville exit off I-78. Dietricks Meats has the positively best beef jerky in the world. They are 1/4 west of the exit on the north side of the Interstate along the old east west highway that the interstate replaced.

Great bag sausage, scrapple, ring pudding, too.

While there, try some Kutztown bottling works Birch Beer, "Nichts Besser!"

If you go on a Saturday, there is a great farmer's market just along Rt 61 a couple miles south of Orwigsburg, PA about ten miles north of Cabelas.

Trot said:
I guess it is unanimous then, thanks! I have a crazy job, I work seven days a week and on call 24 hours a day from the end of May until Labor day. No days off, so the fair is out of the question, got time off in the winter though so I thought I might make the trip. Thanks again.

Topton Fish and Game Assoc has a good woods walk

http://www.toptonfga.org/

Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, the fourth Sunday each month starts at 0800. You can do the shoot in the AM them drive up to Dixon's by 1200 when they open. I'd guess the distance to be less than 30 miles.

Leo

Chuck, Gregg and the rest of the family ARE black powder! Need .45-70 brass? SPG Lube? 500 grain heads for the .45-70? .490 roundball? Powder? You name it, they've got it! From wood blanks & kits to finished pieces. Lyman, Armisport, Pedersoli, Uberti, and some nice stuff from local makers as well! Clothing, parts, tools, caps, flints, bags, straps, furniture, parts, patches, did I mention parts?? They have it all!

Doing the trip from my Jersey address means doing the "Red Neck Tri-Fecta"! That's going to Dixon's, Cabela's (just 11 mi. down the road), and Dietrich's Meats. This time of year I get the ribeye steaks for the grill. They taste like I'm in a NY Steakhouse! Also, don't forget to bring a cooler for the bacon, smoked pork chops, ham steaks, smoked turkey, heck if they could bottle the smoke or the "OINK" they'd do that too! Just remember that Mamma Dietrich don't take nuthin but CASH, and if you want to "get her going", just say that Chuck Dixon let you outta his store with a little cash for her! :haha: :shocked2: :)

And the Mrs. might like to stop in at the local Winery just down the 4-way stop from Dietrich's! Wine tasting, gifts, etc. We usually get a case of mixed wines when we stop in for a visit.

There's a REASON that Chuck Dixon was given an award by the NMLRA! I don't remember the exact name of the award, but it's bestowed to a select few individuals, possibly only one or two per year!

Just remember that Dixon's is closed on Wednesdays! And the Kempton Inn has GREAT food at FAIR prices! I recommend ANYTHING that's PA Dutch home-made from that menu, and lots more!

Dave

WARNING WARNING don't take the credit cards or check book; only take what cash you can afford to spend. The choices are irresistable! :surrender:

For the muzzleloader fanatic a trip to Dixon's is like a pilgrimage to a mystic religious sanctuary to seek an audience with the Omnipotent wizard of black powder. I have learned more just standing near the counter and listening to Chuck talk with customers than you could fill a book with. Although, he is quite the conservative, so don't make any liberal comments if you want to stay on his good side. He can go off on a political rant if you get him started. I first ventured to his old shop 30 years ago.

I, myself have been invading Chuck's shop for nearly 30 years also (may have even seen you there and didn't know it). I live in Easton, so it's only about 45 minutes from me. The men (Chuck and Gregg both) are walking books of knowledge. Just make sure that you scrape the Obama sticker off your bumper before you get there (as Chuck walks back and forth to the house, I think he checks for that :rotf: :rotf:).

Vern

I get there quite a bit myself and have the added benefit of being 6'3" tall........if you know where the custom rifles are displayed then you know what I'm talking about! :blah:

Latest posts

Back