• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ditch The Patch Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got indirectly sassed in the guise of politeness. I'm sorry if I offended. A nicer framed question would have netted you an answer. I believe I shall sit this one out and hope everyone enjoys their historic endeavors in the way they find best.

A patch knife should be just that and have no other function. Keep it close without having to dig for it. One way is to sew a little pouch on your bag strap. Use it, put it back. Always there, always sharp. Small, skinny blade. Using one knife for many purposes will cause a dull knife where the silly sawing is needed. How embarrassing even to yourself. The old way is and was the right way.
Agree though I use precut a patches sometimes cut at the muzzle IMO wraps the ball perfectly. When I do cut patches my little knife hang’s from a lanyard around my neck; I almost forget it’s there.

True. --- If the knife is sharp, it only takes a quick slice. If it is a dull knife than sawing is necessary.

I've been thinking, instead of sawing away with a patch knife, why not use a pair of shears. Not historically correct, but probably faster and more efficient. Maybe some of you are doing this already, but I'm going to try it on my next range trip.
I think a pair of scissors on the firing line would be more of an obstruction than using a patch knife. ---- When I am loading my loading block I cut the needed patches with scissors. When I load on the firing line I use a patch knife after my loading block is empty.

Mine is shaving sharp, works good.

Attachments

• B5879330-CAF1-4CFA-B9B4-DC8AAD8DD31B.jpeg
    B5879330-CAF1-4CFA-B9B4-DC8AAD8DD31B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 48CCA71B-0ACB-4500-B768-10E2EBE0D5D9.jpeg
    48CCA71B-0ACB-4500-B768-10E2EBE0D5D9.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
As precious as Good quality tool steel was in the 18th century how could a poor back woodsman afford to own not one, but two knives of quality? I don't recall reading anything of the period talking about a dedicated patch knife.
I thought a large knife might take the place of a small knife, but seldom is the reverse true.

As for strips of patching strung to your bag, it would be one more thing to flutter in the breeze for the enemy to see, and one more thing to snag on a briar or nettle as you crept thru the brush, or ran for your life for survival.
That's just my thoughts.

Watch bp maniac's videos. He partially pre cuts and has a video demonstrating. He just tears a patch off the strip he carries. I tried it, very simple and quick.
I recently saw that video. I need to start what he showed in the video. Plus I was surprised that he used veggie oil as lube. But hey cheap way.

I have A son-in-law who chews nontobacco that comes in plastic snuse cans. He saved me a bunch of them and they really were good for prelude patches whether round or square. You can write on the can with one of these silver permanent ink markers in case you are trying different things. A touch of carburetor cleaner will remove the writings if you want to use it for something else.
Squint

I have a hand forged patch knife that is very sharp, but i never use it. Pre cut patches are just so-o-o-o much easier. IMHO

Back