• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ditch The Patch Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used a patch knife: My patches are pre cut. At the range the patch is wiped with lube.

When hunting i use this historically incorrect tube that contains five patched round balls:

wsrTZCdm.jpg

I've been thinking, instead of sawing away with a patch knife, why not use a pair of shears. Not historically correct, but probably faster and more efficient. Maybe some of you are doing this already, but I'm going to try it on my next range trip.
if you want a nice trim fit, I don't think you will get it with shears. Never tried it, but think the shears will stay too high on the muzzle.
Larry

I've been thinking, instead of sawing away with a patch knife, why not use a pair of shears. Not historically correct, but probably faster and more efficient. Maybe some of you are doing this already, but I'm going to try it on my next range trip.
If you cut them out at home you will save even more time.
I never saw any advantage to cutting patches at the muzzle, but do see lots of disadvantages.

I use both patch knife and scissors. The knife for the field. Scissors once or twice a year. I’ll cut up strips of material and roll them up to toss in my shooting bag. Or, I’ll cut square patches with the scissors at home. Those go into storage containers by the handfuls. An hour at home can yield more than enough patches for a year. Lube in the field or at the range.

For me, a good sharp patch knife is the fastest. I just place my patch strip on the muzzle push the ball flush and one quick pass with a razor sharp knife it is ready to be pushed home.

Isn’t carrying a greasy roll of patching material a nuisance?
How do you keep from getting the grease on your other stuff?

Isn’t carrying a greasy roll of patching material a nuisance?
How do you keep from getting the grease on your other stuff?
PC/HC plastic 35mm film canisters if pre-lubing, though I still have a few of the more ‘traditional’ aluminum ones. If one lubes their patch material as they load, getting grease on other stuff not an issue unless you are careless.

As long as you have a SHARP knife, trimming patches at the muzzle is very quick and easy. I have recently been experimenting with a couple of straight razors. Just have to work out a handle and sheath. If you can shave with it, it will breeze through any patch material easier than any shears I have used.

Used to do this at the early shoots........Precut your own patches , take a needle with coarse thread and pass the needle through the center of a bunch of patches. remove the needle , attach one end of the coarse thread to your shot pouch . Just remove each patch as needed , lube and load. Patches stay on the coarse cord until needed. I haven't done this for a long time , 'cause I don't go to shoots , and lazy man's precut patches are easier to deal with.

PC/HC plastic 35mm film canisters if pre-lubing, though I still have a few of the more ‘traditional’ aluminum ones. If one lubes their patch material as they load, getting grease on other stuff not an issue unless you are careless.

As long as you have a SHARP knife, trimming patches at the muzzle is very quick and easy. I have recently been experimenting with a couple of straight razors. Just have to work out a handle and sheath. If you can shave with it, it will breeze through any patch material easier than any shears I have used.

I carry my pre-cut patches in an Altoids tin box, and others in a loading block with balls.

Latest posts

Back