• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Defective Crown "Burrs"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a new .36 CVA Frontier type rifle through mail order that was sort of a mongrel. I had the unfinished barrel along with the rest of the gun sent directly from the seller to my gun bluer of choice to get professionally hot chemical blued. After I received the gun I put the parts back together and now that I cleaned the inside of the barrel in preparation to start shooting it, I noticed that there were some very noticiable "burrs" around the entire crown of the bore.
The lands of the crown are smooth, but the same clockwise side of each groove is about 40% filled with an strange "L" shaped "burr", almost like a fishhook. (The stem of the "L" being the land, and the hook like protrusion being the "burr".)
I'm not exactly sure how these were caused. At first I thought that they may have been formed during the crowning process from the use of a dull tool. But because they seem to be actual extensions of the lands, I now think that they were leftover metal from the rifling process, and then the muzzle end of the barrel was cut longer than the amount of the "clean" finished rifling (and before the exterior of the muzzle was shaped & tapered).
The depth of the "burrs" towards the barrel interior is at least several fingernails or more deep, and seem to vary in height from 1/2 to about the full height of the lands themselves.
The burrs do seem to snag some fibers from a cleaning patch on the way out of the muzzle, but only produced a little extra tightness on the way in. I'm sure the tightness will be more noticiable when loading a PRB though.
My question is this: How should I deal with these "burrs"?
1. Should I shoot the gun to see if they affect accuracy before I do anything? I'm pretty sure they will make loading a PRB a little tougher since they fill so much of the groove, even though they might not necessarily cut the patch.
2. Should I try to clean up the grooves using some ultra fine hand files? It might be a little tough to distinguish the exact edge of the land by doing it that way.
3. Should I just have the barrel recrowned for the short distance that the "burrs" protrude into the barrel?
Because the lands were seemingly well crowned, is that necessary or advisable to have done?

Has anyone else ever come across these kind of defective "burrs" with a new barrel? How would you suggest I deal with the problem?
The barrel must have been a leftover factory second...
There were some other quality issues with the gun that make me a little concerned about going back to the seller and asking him to help me deal with this problem. I'm not sure that he would, or confident that he can handle this problem satisfactorily. While, I may tell him about it, I think that I'd rather just have the problem fixed locally in the end.

in the 'if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it' mode:

certianly, you should try shooting the rifle for pattern- it may be that the burrs will have no or little effect on the accuracy, in which case, let it stay the way it is.

if, however, these burrs cause your rifle to shoot big groups, you might want to consider coning the muzzle. the coning will remove the burrs and make the rifle easier to load. i've used Jim Woods' coning tools- they're reasonably priced and simple to use.

if coning doesn't work, short of lapping the bore, swami sees another barrel in your future.

good luck!

MSW

Back