• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer/Elk tag draws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
How many ave heard if they were lucky enough to draw a big game tag if in a state where this process is done? i lucked into a M100 ML "one Deer" tag which is two months in one unit and two weeks in another and a "one Deer" tag that is good from Sept 1 thru the end of Feb. down in the lowlands which is nearly all private property but I think I have enough places to make it work and may try and nurture some old contacts with orchardists who typical are happy to have fewer Deer pruning the terminal growth and rubbing antlers on the limbs, good luck to all this season, I hope all will enjoy the rewards of hunting with traditional gear, be you dressed in period clothes, full camo, or Sponge Bob PJs

"Either sex" M/L elk in Colorado!!

I'll be in the Pagosa Springs area in mid Septemer.

either sex ml tag for Cali, and a regular buck tag for rifle season, start in Aug.--sept, then two weeks and three weekends after Thanksgiving!!

My son has an either sex deer tag for ML here in Idaho. We will be looking for a large buck. Ron

I put almost everyone in my family in the draw for soemthing. All we ended up with is buck mule deer for me, and cow elk for my youngest daughter. I hear the odds will be better next year. Sure hope so.

Good luck to everyone. Take pics. Bill

yal excuse my ignorance on this one, being a southern man ive never been hunting up north, i would love to do the mountains, but the economy being what it is i will prob never get the chance. here in texas we go to wally world and buy a hunting peremit that has tags for doe ,buck etc on it , when we take game we tag it with the detachable tags that come on the permit,the parks and wildlife determine what amount of each gets the amount of tags ,according to that counties population of game. would yall explain how the drawing tags thing works? is it like a lottery or is there some kind of points system in place? thanx mike

east texas said:
yal excuse my ignorance on this one, being a southern man ive never been hunting up north, i would love to do the mountains, but the economy being what it is i will prob never get the chance. here in texas we go to wally world and buy a hunting peremit that has tags for doe ,buck etc on it , when we take game we tag it with the detachable tags that come on the permit,the parks and wildlife determine what amount of each gets the amount of tags ,according to that counties population of game. would yall explain how the drawing tags thing works? is it like a lottery or is there some kind of points system in place? thanx mike

All deer tags in Colorado are draw only. The state is broken up in units. You pick a unit, and a season (ML, rifle, bow etc) you want to hunt, and apply for it. Some units are more successful in getting game. You need more points to get a tag in those units.

You get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pick. If you don't get your 1st pick you get a point for the next year. You can still hunt that year if you get your 2nd or 3rd pick. The odds go up of getting 2nd and 3rd picks.

Elk is the same deal, except you can by over the counter for some of the units. The better units need a lot of points if you want a bull tag. Cow tags are easy to get, and a lot of units need no points.

It's even more complicated, but that's the basics.

I got my elk and deer tags this year. Plus I got a point for elk by taking a point for my 1st pick, and cow elk for my 2nd pick.

Then there are the leftover tags available in August. There are 'List A' and 'List B' tags that are too complicated to quote here, but info is online at the DOW site. This gives us the possibility of getting more than one deer, elk, pronghorn... This is good way to extend your hunting. Just more time in the woods, which is a good thing for guys like me.

east texas said:
Yessir, it's a lottery, You pays your money and takes your chances. The company that does the lottery is in another state, so's there's no cries of "foul". Most people, I heard, draw their first time for deer or elk, but that may not be so. Any way, if'n you don't draw, you get a preference point for the next season. I drew elk, deer, and pronghorn for the ml season, but I had preference points for deer and elk. I drew doe pronghorn, because every body else wants a trophy buck, and I'm a meat hunter.

damn that sounds mighty complicated! it would take several seasons just to figure out what, when and where to hunt! i too am a meat hunter, if i was to get a twelve pointer, hell i couldnt afford to mount it any way! i think its a lot more simple here in texas, how the heck the north won the war is beyond me! :rotf:

Oregon is pretty much the same you can directly buy tags for some areas and others are by draw only some with 150 tags and 4000 applicant, others have more tags than applicants and some areas are a lot of public property or timber company who are usually hunter friendly,some are 90% private property but some of this can be timber company and you just have to know the area or do your homework it took me three years to draw the tag for the 6 month long season, again good luck to all.

east texas said:
damn that sounds mighty complicated! it would take several seasons just to figure out what, when and where to hunt! i too am a meat hunter, if i was to get a twelve pointer, hell i couldnt afford to mount it any way! i think its a lot more simple here in texas, how the heck the north won the war is beyond me! :rotf:

Cuz, mountain men are tougher than you flatlanders. :grin:

Montana does not post deer/elk/antelope draw results until mid July. Moose, sheep and mountain goat results are out though. No moose for me this year but I was lucky enough to draw a bighorn sheep ewe license.

Keep us posted on that sheep hunt! I've always wanted to do that, never got the chance, and now...age. :(

Back