• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer and Lyme Disease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyme disease not only affects humans but dogs too. 2 years ago me and my dog hunted all fall in NE mass., plenty of ticks some days, I was pretty sure I got them off me and the dog. I got what I thought was a flu around christmas and it didnt go away. In february my dog couldn't walk one day so off to the vet we went. They didnt know what was wrong, the vet said lets try this blood test I've seen several cases of lyme in dogs recently and symptoms are about the same. Sure enough the dog tested positive, so I went and got tested too, same results, we both ended up on the same 30 day regimen of the same pill. Pups ok, I have rheumatoid arthritis now that I have to take meds daily for, we both got off lucky based on some of the stories I've heard. BTW we used repellent EVERY day we were out but couldnt keep the little buggers away.I also use the once a month between the shoulder blades juice for the dog. What we need is more wild turkeys they love ticks.

:hmm:
Just curious gents but was lyme disease present in colonial times??
And if so what would be a traditional response as to treatment, or would death be unavoidable?

Robert

Mad Professor,

Your deer having live ticks on it after a week is interesting. I don't age mine that way, I use frozen jugs and ice chests. We can see 80 degree temps here.

A friend who was a Veternarian would field dress his deer in the woods and leave it for a period of time depending on the ambinet temperature. He said that as the deer lost it's body temperature that the ticks would fall off.

He would not let freshly killed deer to come into his camp to help keep the ticks out of camp.

He also "double gloved" (wore 2 pairs of surgical gloves) when cleaning any animal. He said there are things in wild animals blood that you do not want in your system. Makes sense to me, I always have cuts on my hands.

RDE

I lived in CT. for a number of years and spent a great deal of time hanging out with the state Emtimologist. I think I spelled that right. We were both scout masters for the same boy scout troop. Anyway, according to him, the reason there are so many deer ticks is because of the deer mice. They carry and pass along the ticks to the deer. He came up with a way to fix the problem by dropping toilet paper tubes that have chemicals in side that kill the ticks. The mouse crawls in side and the chemicals kill the ticks. Ct of course shot that down because it cost money. Ct is only about collecting money for taxes, not spending it to fix roads or issues like these. Do I sound angry about Ct. Yes I am. I was so glad to leave that state. It wasn't uncommon To leave the woods with 50-60 ticks on me. I of course have lime disease, they caught it early and gave me a shot to stop it's progress. I have no physical issues with the desease, I'm really lucky.
Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

Now for a bit of urban legend and conspiracy theory. :youcrazy: :bull:
I was told that Lyme disease was part of a cold war experiment. Apparently it came from Plum Island, a government animal disease facility located at the Eastern end of Long Island Sound. Some local birds got to be carriers, some went to Montauk while others went to Lyme Ct. and the disease made landfall. If it was diagnosed on Long Island sooner, who knows, it could have been called Montauk disease. :hmm: Dosen't seem too far fetched when you think about it.
Whatever the case, it's here to stay until they come up with an effective cure.

I have to attend a wake this evening for the co-worker mentioned earlier. He passed away due to complications from Lyme disease.
Gents, Be careful out there, this is pretty serious stuff not to be taken lightly.

bucktales said:
Now for a bit of urban legend and conspiracy theory. :youcrazy: :bull:
I was told that Lyme disease was part of a cold war experiment. Apparently it came from Plum Island, a government animal disease facility located at the Eastern end of Long Island Sound. Some local birds got to be carriers, some went to Montauk while others went to Lyme Ct. and the disease made landfall. If it was diagnosed on Long Island sooner, who knows, it could have been called Montauk disease. :hmm: Dosen't seem too far fetched when you think about it.
Whatever the case, it's here to stay until they come up with an effective cure.

Gee and all this time I thought I has kidnapped by aliens. Now I find out it was Lyme disease from the CIA spooks and black helicopters. Where is my tinfoil hat? I know I left it here somewhere.

As I said, it's a story that's been floating around these parts for years, nothing more.
BTW, misfire99, welcome to the boards,you can introduce yourself on the Welcome to the Camp board as well. :)

Ok...so how would one know if he was infected? I was on my land for 1 week last month "nova scotia" and daily burned 5-10 off my sorry hide, as I was clearing some dense brush..

I feel fine at the present..And just as a side note lyme desease is a product of cold war bio tech?? Now thats a bit scary!

Robert

Back