• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deciding On A Small To Medium Game .45 Hunting Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there is another post here asking about what people use for target loads and hunting loads, but I have a couple of other questions regarding hunting loads alone.

I just bought a .45 Spanish rifle with a 1:66 slow twist percussion rifle that I want to use for small game like squirrel and rabbit, as well as game up to about the size of racoons, bobcats or maybe even coyotes.

There a couple of issues that have to be dealt with, since I live in California.

One is sometimes I will be hunting in the condor zone, so I would be restricted to using non-lead roundballs.

If I use the ITX round balls, they are a bit lighter than lead PRBs. Most .440 Pb round balls generally weigh in at 128 grains, whereas the .436 ITX weighs in at 115 grains.

So a thicker patch might be necessary for a snug run down the barrel; I am thinking about a .018" patch.

I assume the lighter weight of the ITX round balls might be less critical to how much powder to use.

Another is considering what kind of damage a shot will do to the specific game I would be hunting.

I want useable meat and skins from what I might hunt, so for squirrel I know that I might be better off with a .32 caliber rifle, but the .45 allows me to have more versatility in hunting.

I am using a 1970s Spanish Jukar and only want to run light to moderate loads in it. I assume from some of what I have read of others that use this rifle, is that the optimum target load runs between 50 to 60 grains of either FFg or FFFg.

I would consider 65 to 70 grains too much to use in this rifle and have no interest in trying to use any kind of maximum load.

So I think most hunting loads would start at about 45 grains of FFFg to 55 to 60 grains at the upper end.

What would be a good minimum load, for rabbits or squirrels? Could I run under 45 grains of powder for this purpose?

The higher ends of this are much easier to decide, where I think about 50 to 55 grains of powder would be good for some of slightly larger animals I have already mentioned.

I assume the lighter weight of the ITX round balls might be less critical to how much powder to use.

:nono: Bad assumption. :shake:
You are entering a mystery zone with that ITX stuff. :shocked2:
Only you can determine the best (most accurate) loads in your gun. That is done by much time on the bench shooting at 50 yard targets. Your results will tell us what works best.
IMHO, that slow twist is also another major problem for you finding good loads. Whatever you end up with, the squirrels will become splatter when hit with a .45 unless you take off the heads.
A load north of 65 grains of real bp will be a deadly deer load, if it is accurate. But that is an unknown :idunno: at this point. I would solve the problem by moving out of Kalifornia.

(I spelled the state name with a 'K', it appeared as a 'C' . I think I understand why. :wink: )

I shoot a 1/2 load in my .45 for targets, 35 gr 3f. If it will ring a gong at 100 yd. it'll kill a bunny/squirrel just fine. Know nothing about non-lead balls---on your own. Get to the bench & go for it...Tom

For deer, I would probably use my Italian made Hawken clone, so although I have the ability to use this .45 for deer, I would feel better insured by the .54 to use for taking a deer.

I am not really sure about the ITX performance, but the company claims it will behave like like lead. Interesting note about it other than it's hardness compared to lead is that it will stick to a magnet. I read somewhere it is an alloy of tungsten. I can only guess on other materials it might have.

Other options in the bird zone I might have is to use a Powerbelt non-lead conical. The company claims they have one product that has done alright in a 1:66 slow twist rifle, but this would be far too much bullet for small to medium game. I would think stabilization of this projectile would be unknown from rifle to rifle.

One more non-lead option I could think of short of casting my own non lead alloy round ball is to use an MMP Standard blue sabot with a light round like maybe a copper made for .38 ACP bullet or some other short stout lightweight .38 bullet in it, but there is still the problem of the twist rate using this, it is too bad a shorter sabot is not made specifically for a 1:66 twist.

These are not really traditional options and the results would might be like a manure shoot.

It is not all non lead in the state yet, so I could just hunt with lead round balls outside the condor zone.

Sure, I would like to get out of California, but some of us are stuck here. Some jobs, family or paying mortgages keep many people trapped here.

I like the idea of moving to Arizona, but I tend to think it would just a temporary solution, because I think this kind of nonsense will spread into other states.

That small powder charge of about 35 grains sounds good, I will see how it works out 25 and then 50 yards before I settle on this though.

For rabbits and squirrels pretty much only head shots would be considered if I wanted the skins and not to destroy any meat.

Well, may as well try very light loads and figure out how to make it behave. Some of those 7/16" marbles might work too. You just never know with a front stuffer until you gives it a try.
Wish I's home I'd go try the marbles out in the .50 smoothie.

Back