• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder alignment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigL

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a second hand Pietta '58 Remmington. I have shot it and it is great fun. I would just like to know from the experienced members how much mis-alignment is acceptable between the cylinder and the barrel. If I view into my barrel from the front I can see a sliver of the cylinder top about the thickness of my nail. This seems disturbing. Need it be and can one fix it easily enough?

Regards
Lucas

Lucas

I would get a dowel of bore size, and run it down your bore and into your chamber. If it hangs up at the chamber, I'd send it back to the manufacturer to repair. If it slides easily into the chamber from the bore, I'd say you were aligned correctly.

edit to add, when I look down the bore of my Pietta Remmington...all I see is blackness. I'm not sure what you are describing.

Dan

Hi Dan

This is viewed from the muzzle with a flashlight lighting up all the way to the nipples in the back.

As I said, it shoots and has been for a while so safety is probably not an issue. But what happens to the accuracy?

Cheers

Maybe the end of the barrel next to the cylinder is not square and what your seeing is sliver of light?.............I dont know where your going to get a bore size dowel unless you turn one down yourself. Bob

Not to play word games, but to try and understand the question: I assume you mean that you can see a small sliver of the chamber at the top when looking down the bore with the cylinder locked in battery.

If I'm correct this is not a timing problem but rather a frame alignment problem. Seeing a slice of the chamber at the side of the bore would indicate a timing problem.

I don't think it's easily fixed, and since you've fired the gun a number of times I doubt if the manufacturer/importer would take it in for warranty repair.

Clearly safety is not an issue, but I'd imagine accuracy is affected as the ball will be deformed when it transitions into the bore.

Timing problem it is. Thanks Mykeal for the tech talk. Will check out a gunsmith's opion next. Thanks All!

Back