• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA SxS Pattern Help for New Feller

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommicked

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I just found y'all and have been reading through past threads. The more I read, the more confused I get. :hmm:

I have been tinkering with a CVA 12 ga side by side that was a recent gift from my BIL. It was his Dad's, and he doesn't hunt or shoot BP.

I'm trying to get the gun to pattern well with buckshot to use for deer hunting at close range, probably on my bow hunting stands. Far as I can tell in the regulations digest this is a legal plan during ML or Gun season here.

I'm using Hornady #3 buck, 21 pellets and one ounce eq. of Pyrodex, and #11 caps. I have musket nipples that'll fit the gun. I'm using powder, cushion wad(no over powder wad) shot and then an over shot wad. My patterns are very discouraging at 30 yards. I may also try to get a .690 round ball mold since I have a ton of scrap pure lead, and nothing better to do with it.

I'm game to trying any suggestions, and the more affordable the better. I have not shot it any closer than 25 yards, and may need to see if my POI is off some. I get pellets on target, just few and far between.

I also want to learn to make some traditional looking speed loaders or at least make some kind of paper tubes with the pellets sealed in them. Counting buckshot by hand is very slow!

Mommicked in Coastal NC

In the experimenting i have done in smoothbores with buckshot, i wouldn't suggest using it on deer. My double barrel .12 ga shot .690 rd balls really well. I would experiment with them instead of buckshot. You will have a more effective range too. Try 90 grs Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f powder and an overpowder wad and patched rd ball. You might be plesantly surprised. Buckshot is just to irratic and you may only get 2-3 poor placed hits with small balls not really doing much except wounding game. JMO

Oops I just asked a kinder similar question only with much larger balls.
I,m no expert but when I have shot a .690 PB I have been very impressed and therefore can recomend for your stated requirements that you investigate that route.
Regards N

Mommicked,
I had one of those a long time ago. I found I had to underload the powder to get any pattern with buckshot, which would then shoot low. I found that my .69 caliber patchd round balls shot to different points of aim from each barrel. You may have to experiment with charges to bring them together.

Also, I never had any trouble igniting Pyrodex with standard #11 caps. I don't know that musket caps will be of any advantage and could make matters worse. Just a thought. You weren't thinking of changing the nipple holes in the barrel were you?

volatpluvia

Nossir, not planning on D/T new holes, just using a replacement nipple of the same thread but musket size. I ran into some trouble shooting over the winter(a warm winter here at that, shooting on 60F days not 20F) where my gun passed the leaf test and the charge wouldn't ignite, and this in three guns. Powder was regular Pyrodex, problem was traced out to CCI brand caps. When I tried my buddy's Rem caps, all three guns shot fine. Caps would move a leaf but wouldn't burn powder.

I am giving the .69 RB a serious thought, although to take one of our 90lb(live weight) does with ML 12ga Buckshot would sorta be a dream come true. Based on shot patterns, th' doe better be under my stand! :shake: I much prefer a centerfire rifle or a muzzle loader to buck shot in the real world, I'm just thinking of what my ancestors historically used in these parts. Shotguns ruled because there where more waterfowl oportunities than deer, and for deer they just used buck from what I've surmised. Maybe I should just take this'n swan or goose hunting instead! :grin:

YOur ancestors used a PRB to hunt and take deer. Buckshot was used in conjunction with a PRB, usually placed on top of the PRB in the barrel followed by an OS card wad to keep the shot in place. Others would make a cloth packet containing the RB and buckshot, as was done on the battle field in the 18th century. This is basically a 30 foot-45 foot load, as beyond 15 yards, it was problematic that any of the buckshot would hit anything! It really has not changed much today, except when using modern cartridges with buffers in the shot cup to keep the balls round. I have seen some 100 yard targets with one or two hits on them with buckshot, out of a choked barrel. For police work, the 00 buck shot loads are still considered a 50 yard and less load.

Latest posts

Back