• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA STOCK FINISH REMOVAL

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On to the next phase of my project. Finish removal from the stock. The stock is a new old stock. I am not thrilled with the ultra light color of the finish and I am wanting to strip it down to wood and re-stain the stock. Anyone have a favorite stripper for refinishing stocks?

I've had decent results with KleanStrip from Home Depot. I've used the spray can.
But there still is some sanding to do.
Those Spaniards used Beechwood for the stocks, the wood and the finish they use is really hard stuff.

There may be something this doesn't work on, but I haven't found it yet.
61cb8095-90e3-43e7-9761-088299d6b10a_1.5398bc93113e5d10645affa263d36ddc.jpeg

Robby

I'm probably going to go with Laurel Mountain Forge Nut Brown. I have Linseed Oil or Tongue oil oil on hand. Trying to keep the cost down as the rifle ain't worth much.

last stock I took the finish off was with a product called "Citristrip"
this not only works great but is bio degradable and is safe for indoor use and no harmful fumes and is non- caustic.
on top of all that it smells good.

On to the next phase of my project. Finish removal from the stock. The stock is a new old stock. I am not thrilled with the ultra light color of the finish and I am wanting to strip it down to wood and re-stain the stock. Anyone have a favorite stripper for refinishing stocks?
I've done a couple of CVA factory re-do projects and just scraped the old finish off with pieces of banding steel.
It comes off easily and although I've never timed myself I would think that I was done in less time than it would have taken for the chemicals to work.

Citrastrip works good and is biodegradable safe indoor water clean up. After that I use steel wool. Then water soak surface and let stand for 30 minutes. This allows the softer grain in the wood to swell up. Go over again with steel wool to cut away the swelled grain. This achieves a very smooth surface. Go over again with very fine sand paper to remove any fuzz. Tac cloth then apply finish stain.

Latest posts

Back