• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Caplock Mainspring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishmusic

Always a Newbie
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Lads and Lassies. I ordered a new mainspring for my CVA Mountain Rifle from Deer Creek. The mainspring now on the lock is weak and has a tendency to work its way loose. The new mainspring is everything I hoped it would be but getting it to fit is an issue. The tab is larger than the tab on the old spring and is rectangular. The old lock tab is square and smaller.

My idea is to simply drill out the tab hole on the lock plate with a hole slightly smaller that the rectangular tab and lightly press the tab into the lock plate. The idea being that the spring would stay in place. I have the companion mountain pistol and cannot remove the spring on that because the tab is preventing it from happening. that makes me think that the procedure was to press it in. The pistol spring is identical to the new spring I ordered. The lock plate is not case hardened by the way.

So, any other ideas that I might consider? The picture below shows the two locks. The upper is the pistol lock and the lower is the rifle lock.

The Spaniards don't spend much time doing "finish work". All the parts are stamped and many times just slightly out of tolerance or with rough stamp edges or burrs left on the parts.
Don't get me wrong, I've always had good luck with CVA/Traditions/Jukar and the mix but all the components seem to benefit from some fine tuning.

That said, the only reason the spring won't come out of the pistol lock is because it was forced in there, Yes it was pressed,, but it was just a tad out of proper tolerance and needs to be "pulled" out.
My point is the pressed/permanent fit you have in the pistol lock isn't they way they are supposed to fit.

I think your idea of drilling a new hole in the MR lock is a good one,, smaller is better then too big,, but don't stress about it needing to be a super hard press fit,,
:v

Why not grind/file the "tab" to the same size and shape on the old spring? This should be significantly easier than enlarging the mortice hole in the lock plate. Spring steel should cut easily with a good fine file

I think I would do the grinding thing. Very careful with a Drimmel, a little at a time. If you drill out the lock a tad too much the spring might not stay and now your lock is messed up but if you mess up the spring, it would be cheaper to buy another new spring rather than a new lock. Maybe I'm over thinking it though.

I wonder if it might be stoned with a rather coarse grit stone rather than trying to get the teeth of a file to bite? Power grinders work so fast it's really easy to overshoot what is and is not an appropriate fit. With a stone you can sneak up on the right fit a bit more slowly and controllably.

That tab is left long so that you can file it to fit. I can be cut with a hack saw if you saw slowly. I can also be filed with a good file if you file slowly. Don;t let anybody tell you you can't I have done it a lot of times. Forget about grinding it. You can cut it with a dremil wheel but great care must be taken in doing it.

Great answers, all. I have the tools mentioned. My final solution will be a combination of your recommendations. I will enlarge the hole to the match the thickness of the spring. Then I will remove metal on the tab to match the hole. Wish me luck!

Well I finally got the spring to fit. The unfortunate part is that the spring is way too strong and there isn't a lot of travel room. I could get it to half cock but no further. The old spring is now back in place and until I can find a suitable spring I will have to live with it. I think I will look around for a replacement lock since Deer Creek is saying the one I purchased is typical. Anybody have an early CVA Mountain Rifle lock that you jut don't need?

Sometimes if the lock isn't inletted properly or if the lock is tightened down to the stock too tightly it will act like it has a weak spring or it will not cock fully....

fishmusic said:
the spring is way too strong and there isn't a lot of travel room. I could get it to half cock but no further.
It won't go to full cock even while the lock is out of the stock and in your hand?

How about trying a used main spring? I replaced mine years ago thinking it was too weak but I was new to MLs back then and looking back now I don't think it was too weak. Being the pack rat I am though, I still have it. If you would like to try it, let me know.

There are almost always CVA locks and parts on ebay. Weak mainsprings are pretty typical on them from my experience.

fishmusic said:
Hey Mooman,

That's a generous offer. I am meeting someone locally to get advice. May I PM you later in the week?
The generosity and friendship of this forum is rather comforting in this modern world of selfish bastards.

I have been blessed a few times by the members of this forum.

:hatsoff:

Back