• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva bobcat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auggie

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a cva bobcat 50 cal,I like it but HATE the plastic stock. Any ideas for a real stock?

Post #1. Welcome to the forum.
Easiest, and probably cheapest, thing to do is get another rifle that is traditional in all ways. Maybe keep the Bobcat for hunting in bad weather. Or trade. Once you get the traditional ml addiction you won't touch a plastic stocked gun. :wink: Good luck.

Welcome aboard.

I have three of them (in .36) with the factory wood stock. I got them all from Deer Creek. Give them a call, they might have stocks available.

IMG_5233.jpg

Here's their info if you don't have it:

Deer Creek Products
6989 E Michigan Rd
Waldron, IN 46182

(765) 525-6181

They don't have a website, just call and tell them what you need.

I see E-bay having stock for bidding. I've sen some cva and T/C so you can check there

Been try to call deer creek,begining to think they leave the phone off the hook,as its always busy.
I also have a Thompson 50,love it. The Cva plastic stock is not only ugly but very light weight,making it feel unbalanced.

auggie said:
Been try to call deer creek,begining to think they leave the phone off the hook,as its always busy.

I've run into that problem a few times. Sometimes they get busy. Just give it a while and try again.

The plastic stock is hollow you can add weight inside to improve the balance. I did one for the son of a friend. I used lead shot in a sock and stuffed the remainder of the stock with rags to keep the weight from shifting. Rather simple fix. :idunno: :idunno:

You can fill the stock with expanding foam. Place lead in to increase weight. The foam will keep the stock from being so noisy in the woods.

auggie,
I have 4 Bobcats in .50 ca that I keep around for the kids to shoot, there's nothing they can hurt. They are good shooting little rifles considering what they are and how they are made. If I were you I'd be looking for another rifle based on what a stock will cost. I have between $50-60 in each one and a new, or used, stock has to cost that much or more.
Mark

I bought a CVA Mountain Stalker in 50 cal. 1x32 rate of twist ( Same as a Bob Cat) It has a blk plastic stock.
Working up a load for a 250 gr. Lee Real Bullet. I like the stock for hunting reasons. Don't have to worry about scratching up those $2,000 and $3,000 dollar pretty stocks.
So far it is holding a pretty good group at 50 yds.Moving back to 75 yds tomorrow at the range. :thumbsup:

Shot 70 gr. of BP behind that REAL BULLET. Grouped nicely. Moving the charge up to 80 gr. next time out. So far the light weight hasn't become an issue yet. Don't think I want to add anymore weight to it. That was the main reason I bought. Shouldn't be a problem carrying that hunting all day

Yes I did. A 1/2 dia.x 1/4 thick felt wad. ( buy it by the sheet at Hobby Lobby. Punch them out w/ a 1/2 dia. hollow punch. Lube them up with some old lube I had left over from Dixie gun Works. It may look terrible with the black plastic stock, but it is becoming a real shooter.
Might have to take first place at Nationals this year. :rotf:

No need to feel out of place with the black plastic stock. CVA Mountain Stalker .50cal 1:32
50 yards.
DSCN3093.jpg

Still have to work up some loads with the 454gr Lee conical.

I got a nice group at 75 yds with 70 Gr. of BP. with an OP Wad. Shooting a 250 Gr. REAL BULLET.
Going to see what 80 Gr. of BP will do at 75 yds. next time I go to the range.
Recoil kick is still not bad, however I am going to install a slip on recoil pad to increase my overall length from butt to trigger.

I got a bobcat in plastic and took off the butt plate and went to the local craft shop bought a 1 pound of modeling clay , shoved as much as I could in there and it is balanced great, damn thing is a shooter with a roundball with 80 grains of 777 in it. At 50 yards I get 2inch groups.

Don't think I want to add anymore weight to the gun.
Glad to hear that they are some more of these lil' rifles out there.
I think that they will make a good no nonsense hunting rifle. They are not PC or HC, but they will get the job done.
Now if I could find a deer within 75 yds, I will be happy.

Back