• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom steel ramrods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a Northwest Star British Officer’s fusil. They are out of business since 2016 so I think parts will be hard to come by. I bought one as a project and it looks someone replaced the rammer with one from an Enfield.
Once you have determined the barrel length and inside diameter of the rod pipes you could maybe find one of the Italian or even Indian made varieties that could get you in the neighborhood or you can contact The Rifle Shoppe and talk to them about making you one that will work.

I bought a 48 inch 1/4 inch diameter cold rolled steel rod. I used a Mapp torch and heated the end of it, while locked in my vise. I flared the end with a ball peen hammer. I felt that it was too heavy for what I wanted. Plus it rattled in the pipes.

period variety
"period variety"? What do you mean? SS rods would be a modern thing. No bad for a range rod. I have one I been using for decades. Not practical for carry but great for range. Look for a machinist or steel fabricating company, I'm sure you can get one made. As a second choice, soft brass is great and you can work it your self.

"period variety"? What do you mean? SS rods would be a modern thing. No bad for a range rod. I have one I been using for decades. Not practical for carry but great for range. Look for a machinist or steel fabricating company, I'm sure you can get one made. As a second choice, soft brass is great and you can work it your self.
By period variety I mean a simple steel rammer with a flat head. Currently this gun has an acorn shaped rammer tip off possibly a P53 Enfield.

“Period variety” rammers came in all sorts of configurations.
Ok then let my open the question, anyone ever seen a mid 18th century rammer with this shape?

Attachments

• IMG_5225.jpeg
    IMG_5225.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 0
A few years ago, I was at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show. I was visiting the booth of Lodgewood Manufacturing (I think it was them, or their other competitor) and noticed the variety of iron ramrods for original and replica military guns. They mentioned to me that they can make most any style of iron rod if they know the measurements. Worth checking them out.

Rick

Latest posts

Back