• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ct turkey opener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul v

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was our season opener in CT. I got out to my spot around 5:30 this morning only to get caught by a hen walking along the field. After letting her wander off, I figured it would worth a try to set my decoys in the same spot. I was on top of a small hill with the valley in front of me and the fields behind me. After setting up,I gave about 5 yelps and to my surprise, I got a response. He was a ways off to my left. After a few minutes, I gave out 3 yelps and again he returned my call, but was out in front of me. He gobbled again, still in front of me, but to my right, I answered with 2 yelps. Then I see feathers coming over the hill to my decoys, I had one at 28yds and the other at 21yds. After strutting for the furthest decoy and not getting a favorable response, he headed for the closest. As he was trying to get the decoys to respond, he kept working right to left and got behind a tree and briar bush. I took the opportunity to adjust my position and waited for him to clear the tree. Once he did, it was turkey down! Not bad for my first ever turkey, let alone one with a flintlock. I was on my out of the woods in less than a 1/2 hr.
I used 60gr 3f with 1/8" nitro wad, 80gr of #5's and two over shot cards.

Yes, 20ga fusil deChasse. It's a Larry Zornes lock and barrel, built by a member here (Keb) and sold to me by another member here (Pathfinder Ted)

Beauty Paul!!

Congratulations. You'll remember that one for a while!

Greg

Absolutely wonderful looking bird there, Paul! :thumbsup:

Congratulations. I doubt many "first gobblers" are taken with flintlocks. That is a true trophy.

I like your Fowler too. :thumbsup:

So, what do you think of black powder turkey hunting??? :idunno:

Happy for ya, Skychief.

paul v said:
Not bad for my first ever turkey, let alone one with a flintlock.
That's what I call a good start. Excellent, congratulations.

Spence

Excellent take.

I have been hunting turkey in the opposite side of the state since Wednesday. No luck so far.

Each morning has been at or below freezing so I don't think they are really in the mating mood.

Back