• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

    We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

    Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Creek War Club

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joined
May 28, 2022
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
23,873
Location
Louisiana & My camp in Mississippi
Been working on this for a while. Started with a length of Crepe Myrtle with a nice sized knotted end. Not sure if the Creeks had access to Crepe Myrtle, but it’s an incredibly strong, dense wood, and this is my rendition of one of theirs. I did do some research but few actual war clubs have survived. They are best known for their red color. The Creeks were also called “The Red Sticks” and “The Baton Rouge’s”, they used these clubs in attacks and massacres during The Creek War of 1813-1814. These uprisings were part of the War of 1812 as the Creeks allied with the British to drive out white and mixed race settlers from southern Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia. I debarked and rough shaped the club. Then let it dry a month or so. I hammer forged a bar of 1084 steel to make the blade and pike. As of today, I have the blade mounted, epoxied, and pinned, most of the shaping is done too. I’ll continue the final steps tomorrow.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3639.jpeg
    IMG_3639.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3703.jpeg
    IMG_3703.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3725.jpeg
    IMG_3725.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3760.jpeg
    IMG_3760.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3761.jpeg
    IMG_3761.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
That look’s really good! What a fun project. What did you use to reduce the handle diameter?
 
My wife and I may go to some antique stores this weekend, I’ve been wanting to see if I can find one in person. There are tons on eBay but the tool has to have the right feel so I’m a little apprehensive about buying one on line.
 
Pretty much have the war club finished now. I still need to put the final edge on the blade and make a leather sheath for the blade and pike. This will be important as I’ve already stabbed my palm twice. This morning I marked off and drew some simple geometric designs and cut the lines in. I used a mixture of stain and bone black to darken the inlets. The stain was a cherry, dark antique, alcohol mixture. I let it dry for a while, then hand rubbed a coat of my Tried & True/gum turpentine mixture and attached a leather hand loop.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3766.jpeg
    IMG_3766.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3767.jpeg
    IMG_3767.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3773.jpeg
    IMG_3773.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Pretty much have the war club finished now. I still need to put the final edge on the blade and make a leather sheath for the blade and pike. This will be important as I’ve already stabbed my palm twice. This morning I marked off and drew some simple geometric designs and cut the lines in. I used a mixture of stain and bone black to darken the inlets. The stain was a cherry, dark antique, alcohol mixture. I let it dry for a while, then hand rubbed a coat of my Tried & True/gum turpentine mixture and attached a leather hand loop.
That is beautiful. Almost be a honor to get thumped by that eh!..
 
Think I’m finished now. Resharpened the blade and made the sheath covers for the blade and pike. The sheaths are nice and secure but can be removed quickly. It actually matches up with my cherry SMR fairly well. Now that I’m protected from getting cut up I guess I could take it along on my next woods walk. Never know when one of those targets might attack before I can reload. ;)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3782.jpeg
    IMG_3782.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3783.jpeg
    IMG_3783.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3787.jpeg
    IMG_3787.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3788.jpeg
    IMG_3788.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Very nice piece of ML history. It is amazing how much time and thought goes into the conception and completion of something like this! It looks very authentic!
 
Back
Top