• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct caliber jag and patch getting stuck fast

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I must have misunderstood how to pick the correct cleaning jag and patch size. I was cleaning my son's .50 CVA Hawken, using a .50 brass jag from TOW and TOW's 2-1/2 square cleaning patches for .50 to .75 caliber bores (GI cleaning patches reads the package). I cut a patch down a bit and soaked it in soapy water, but still had to force the jag into the muzzle. Once I got past the muzzle, the jag went down the bore with reasonable effort. Then I went to pull it out...stuck fast, I mean like not budging even with pliers on the rod. I fought and pulled and swore and pulled... I had to squirt oil down the barrel and through the cleanout hole in the bolster then let it sit. Finally, after an additional hour of expletives fit to make Patton blush, I got it out with extreme effort. What am I doing wrong?? I honestly thought I was going to have to send the barrel out and have the breech plug removed.

Advice would be dearly appreciated!

Smollett

This is normal , you need to either go to a thinner cleaning patch or reduce the OD of the jag a bit , in a lathe , in a drill with emery tape , or with just the tape in your hand , keep checking till you get the desired fit :thumbsup:

Also, go up-n-down with shorter strokes, not all at once. It takes a little time to learn, but then you'll know..... Use several patches, not just one.

Congrats! It's spending time with your son and learning how it's done. :thumbsup:

Smollett said:
I must have misunderstood how to pick the correct cleaning jag and patch size.
Nah, it's just gaining experience.
Cut one of those patches in half next time,, or pour soapy water back-n-forth in the barrel a bit to soften hard fouling before using the patch an jag,,

Your having to force the cleaning jag and patch into the muzzle was a clue to something not being right.

The combination of jag/patch should be a light push fit. Not real loose but not difficult either.

When you ran into having to force it in the first thing you should have tried is using a thinner material for the patch. An old worn out T shirt or pair of skivvies works well.

If the patch is too dry it will sometimes get stuck in the bore. This is especially true if the bore is fouled.

If this happens, pour a tablespoon or more of water down the muzzle and let it sit for a minute.
This almost always causes the stuck patch to release its grip and pull out easily.
Sometimes, it helps to push the cleaning rod down the bore a little before trying to pull it back out. This helps in those cases where the patch gets bunched up on top of the jag and wedges in place.

The cleaning patches I use are about 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 in size and they work for everything I have from .45 thru .58 caliber.

Are you swabbing the bore in between shots or every so often while at the range? Are you using a very thick patch lube? Not swabbing while at the range or using a thick patch lube could contribute to what you are experiencing.
I swab after every shot using an alcohol dampened cleaning patch on the same jag as I clean with at home and have never had the kind of problems you're describing, even with brand new jags still shiny from the factory. Also, a free spinning T-handle on your range rod is very helpful when things get difficult.

Here are my "solutions" to proper fitting jag/patch combos....first off a bronze wire brush is sent down the bore to clear out the heavy buildup.....especially at the breech end. I don't swab after every shot and in fact, don't swab at all, but only use a wire brush when the bore is difficult to load...whether at the range or while hunting.

When cleaning and after wire brushing, a wet patch is pushed down the bore w/o difficulty. Have 2-3 jags per caliber that have "custom" dias to accommodate the nondescript patches that are used....mainly old shirts and pants or any other suitable cloth. The 2-3 jags have worked fine w/ all the different thicknesses I've used.

The jags are screwed into a threaded rod which is then chucked in a drillpress and the dia reduced. Of course it's trial and error and a patch has to be used to size the jag.

If I used purchased cleaning patches or mat'l, one jag might do, but then all my old shirts and pants would stick around forever because my wife never throws out anything.....Fred

I think 1601Phill and Zonie hit the nail on the head. The bore was actually not fouled at all. I was just attempting to clean it after I just got done browning the barrel. I thought to myself that something didn't seem right that I had to force the jag into the bore. Is anyone familiar with these TOW square (dry) patches? Since I bought 200 of them, I'll probably end up turning down the jag slightly. Interesting that Zonie mentioned pushing the jag back in; I'd actually tried that (Zonie, you must have been around the block quite a few times), but I could only get it to move 1/4 inch either way. I ended up shaking the barrel downward by holding the rod (delrin) and it finally moved. It was looking bleak for a bit...

Smollett

Ya sometimes this happens. Try removing the barrel and sticking the tube in a bucket of hot soapy water for 20 min or so to soften the crud ring, then use a thinner patch.

Back