• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Conical lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzloder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings and Merry Christmas to all! Today is the last day of deer season here, and I've been contemplating doing some conical testing next week since the weather has been so warm (no snow!). I'm wondering about lubes; I really don't want to use any of the soft creamy lubes that are commercially available. Very messy! I'f like something that sticks to the bullet similar to the NRA 50-50 lube but that performs well with Goex powder. IS SPG what I'm looking for? I'll probably pan lube or apply by hand. Thanks for your input!

Patrick

My version is lanolin, olive oil and beeswax, adjusting the amount of beeswax to modify the firmness.

Some day I'm gonna try peanut butter. Yeah, I know it sounds goofy. But it might work.

Lee liquid alox might serve your needs.

Personally I don't like to lube conical in advance....it just makes a mess and attract dirt.
Since rifling is engraved in the conical at the muzzle the important lube gets removed. Bullet lube then serves more to keep fouling soft. which I have found to simply contribute to build up.
Instead I shoot the bullet un-lubed and clean between shots.

All these problems and dilemmas are why I prefer the simplicity of a RB.

A light coating of real mink oil applied at loading does a good job for me.

Olive oil & Beeswax......same stuff my wife uses for hand moisturizer! Guess I'll have to add a bit more wax to thicken it up. Thanks guys, may God rest ye merry! :)

I use it for patches too..It works well for all my muzzleloader "stuff" it seems.. :thumbsup:

I usually use Crisco or bore butter. Yes a little messy. I just smear a little on with my fingers and have a rag handy to wipe my fingers. I don't shoot conicals often though, if I did I'd come up with a better method.

Equal parts of bees wax and criso, with a tablespoon or so of olive oil.

this has served me quite well over the years.

Fleener

Would a recipe of soybean oil and beeswax work just as good? I use soybean oil all year long in my concession business and always have an ample supply available. Greg. :)

Critter Getter said:
Would a recipe of soybean oil and beeswax work just as good? I use soybean oil all year long in my concession business and always have an ample supply available. Greg. :)
No!...and here is why:

There are Drying oils, Semi-drying oils, and Non-drying oils.

Drying oils are polyunsaturated materials such as linseed (flax), or Tung oil. People usually use oils like these to finish furniture, but some, like walnut oil, do get used in cooking.

Semi-drying oils, like corn, sunflower, safflower or soybean oil, have high enough unsaturation to oxidize into a gooey mess on your cookware, especially if you get them too hot.

Non-drying oils, like olive, canola or peanut oil, are relatively saturated and don't easily oxidize to form the sort of hard varnishes you have to clean off with a scrubby pad or angle grinder.

It's hard to say because I don't personally know the source.
Those little blocks are about the size of a candy bar.
For bullet/patch lube, I am not as fussy as if it were being used for cosmetic or food purposes.
I usually buy my wax locally because so much comes from China and India.

Other than source, I judge quality by feel, color, and smell. It's highly subjective

I would buy several blocks to offset the shipping, If you don't like the quality you can always use it for candles, woodworking, protecting metal, etc....

I don't know that beeswax has a specific "shelf life". I just keep it in a cool dark place out of direct sunlight, like a cupboard or drawer. Because it is somewhat soft and sticky it is prone to contaminations from dust and debris,....so I keep it wrapped or in a container.
I don't know if bugs or rodents will eat it because I don't have that problem.

I use beeswax and olive roughly 50/50 but that can change with temp..It works very well for me..I buy beeswax off ebay now..five 1oz bars for about $5 shipped..That irks me as my family use to be the biggest honey producer here locally..We had stands spread out all over the county..One of my jobs growing up was taking care of bees..i miss and really want to get back into it. :(

If you guys are wanting beeswax go check out castboolits.com there are a couple of people that sell beeswax and a very good price great service too! PM "randyrat" and there is another ALLEEBEE'S beeswax & lube products.

RB

Last edited by a moderator:
Back