• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ROA and the Kaido Conical Bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am considering shooting the Kaido .456 220 gr. conical bullet in my ROA and I have a few questions for ROA shooters using this bullet.

What’s been the performance of this bullet in your ROA?
What lube do you prefer for this bullet?
Have you made paper cartridges with this bullet?
What BP and 777 loads do you suggest for the Kaido bullet?

Any feedback from ROA shooters in the forum would be appreciated.

A follow up to my post above with an additional question. I didn't realize that there are three different Kaido conical bullets available. 220 gr., 240 gr. and 255 gr. Which weight works best for your ROA?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I am considering shooting the Kaido .456 220 gr. conical bullet in my ROA and I have a few questions for ROA shooters using this bullet.

A follow up to my post above with an additional question. I didn't realize that there are three different Kaido conical bullets available. 220 gr., 240 gr. and 255 gr. Which weight works best for your ROA?
I have a ROA 7.5 barrel. I recently bought 100 Kaido 220gr bullets. I got them lubes with 50/50 Beeswax/Tallow, by the time they got to me in north Fl all the lube had melted into a big mess. I had to soak them in Mineral spirits to remove all the lube. Never again! The bullets themselves, without any lube on them, loaded perfectly & shot excellent. I was able to connect some holes at 35yds. My charge is 35gr T7fff. I'll be ordering 200 more of these bullets very soon. I edited this to add; the Kaido bullets fit perfectly & loaded & shot fantastic with no lube. If I do ever use a lube it would be Bills Liquid Lube. But none is necessary with these bullets.

Last edited:
some time ago Mike Beliveau did a series of tests with a ROA and the Kaido bullet very impressive.
Go though his archive and look.
I found the ROA videos you mentioned on YouTube . Great evaluations and ballistics for ball, Lee and Kaido bullets. I didn't realize that a ROA could be loaded just short in velocity and energy of the famed unmentionable .44 cal. Dirty Harry cartridge using a conical. Yikes! 😲

Last edited:
I have a ROA 7.5 barrel. I recently bought 100 Kaido 220gr bullets. I got them lubes with 50/50 Beeswax/Tallow, by the time they got to me in north Fl all the lube had melted into a big mess. I had to soak them in Mineral spirits to remove all the lube. Never again! The bullets themselves, without any lube on them, loaded perfectly & shot excellent. I was able to connect some holes at 35yds. My charge is 35gr T7fff. I'll be ordering 200 more of these bullets very soon.
Per your reply to my post, I found the Kaido 220 gr. conical bullets on Etsy. I noted that the guy selling the bullets says that he will sell them without the lube. I think I'll send him an order.

Per your reply to my post, I found the Kaido 220 gr. conical bullets on Etsy. I noted that the guy selling the bullets says that he will sell them without the lube. I think I'll send him an order.
Yes, I got mine from him. He's in my home state on the eastern shore of Md. Be warned, if you're in a hot climate & get his lubed bullets, you'll have one nasty mess when they arrive with all the lube melted & the whole pack of bullets are a nasty glob. Also, he puts his wheel weight cast Kaido bullets in a darn thin bubble shi[pping envelope, those gorillas at the USPS throw them around with zero regards. Mine arrived with many banged up to where I had to not only clean off all the lube, but I had to go over every bullet - all 100 of them & take out the few that were too banged up to use & take a file to clean up the many dinged up ones & could still use. I addressed this with the guy. He offered to start using a plastic box to **** them in. Make sure you tell him to either take his thin bubble wrap envelope full of bullets & put them in another bubble wrap or peanut filled box or put them in a plastic box & stack them all standing upright, tight together so none get deformed in shipping. For what he's charging for 100 cast bullets, that kinda manure was not acceptable to me. Get them UnLubed & look up Bills Liquid Lube if you really want to lube them. It is not necessary to lube them. They load & shoot super well with no lube. I hope ya like them bullets as much as I do. I will be spring Osceola Turkey hunting with my new ROA & the 220gr Kaidos with 35gr T7fff. Me & the ROA both like that load & bullet. I'll keep it. Good luck

Yes, I got mine from him. He's in my home state on the eastern shore of Md. Be warned, if you're in a hot climate & get his lubed bullets, you'll have one nasty mess when they arrive with all the lube melted & the whole pack of bullets are a nasty glob. Also, he puts his wheel weight cast Kaido bullets in a darn thin bubble shi[pping envelope, those gorillas at the USPS throw them around with zero regards. Mine arrived with many banged up to where I had to not only clean off all the lube, but I had to go over every bullet - all 100 of them & take out the few that were too banged up to use & take a file to clean up the many dinged up ones & could still use. I addressed this with the guy. He offered to start using a plastic box to Cranberries them in. Make sure you tell him to either take his thin bubble wrap envelope full of bullets & put them in another bubble wrap or peanut filled box or put them in a plastic box & stack them all standing upright, tight together so none get deformed in shipping. For what he's charging for 100 cast bullets, that kinda manure was not acceptable to me.
Excellent advice. Thanks.

Hi guys,

I shoot 220gr in my Remington NA, they shoot great, no lube.

Yes, I got mine from him. He's in my home state on the eastern shore of Md. Be warned, if you're in a hot climate & get his lubed bullets, you'll have one nasty mess when they arrive with all the lube melted & the whole pack of bullets are a nasty glob. Also, he puts his wheel weight cast Kaido bullets in a darn thin bubble shi[pping envelope, those gorillas at the USPS throw them around with zero regards. Mine arrived with many banged up to where I had to not only clean off all the lube, but I had to go over every bullet - all 100 of them & take out the few that were too banged up to use & take a file to clean up the many dinged up ones & could still use. I addressed this with the guy. He offered to start using a plastic box to Cranberries them in. Make sure you tell him to either take his thin bubble wrap envelope full of bullets & put them in another bubble wrap or peanut filled box or put them in a plastic box & stack them all standing upright, tight together so none get deformed in shipping. For what he's charging for 100 cast bullets, that kinda manure was not acceptable to me. Get them UnLubed & look up Bills Liquid Lube if you really want to lube them. It is not necessary to lube them. They load & shoot super well with no lube. I hope ya like them bullets as much as I do. I will be spring Osceola Turkey hunting with my new ROA & the 220gr Kaidos with 35gr T7fff. Me & the ROA both like that load & bullet. I'll keep it. Good luck
Use pure lead and vacuum pack them and they don't move . I know he didn't kill all the deer so he has to have vacuum pack rolls left over ,Tell him what you want and no more dinged bullets !

I have two kaido molds. a 36 cal and the 44 240. my ROA is not pristine with some pitting in the cylinder and the barrel so take my accuracy with a grain of salt. I have had slightly better accuracy with kaido bullets than with .454 balls. I know you are supposed to use .457 but I am not buying another mold for one gun. I really like the loading convenience of pre lubed bullets over using wads. I use beeswax and crisco 50:50. these bullets also do great in my 1858 revolving carbine.

Interesting! I might have to try them The Ruger has one problem and that is twist rate. They used .45 colt rate. The gun shoots better slow and 20 gr of FFFG with a filler is best. Bullets shoot fine.
My problem is I deer hunt with mine so I load hot with Swiss powder and it is not good at 50 yards but up close it destroys deer.

Uberti's have a fast twist as well. They both are excellent for shooting 45C !!!

Mike

Hi guys,

The only Kaido bullets I’ve used were the 220’s and they work very well…accuracy is close to ball ammunition with full charges. I mostly use the Accurate Molds shown below. I like SPG modified with the addition of Stihl HP Synthetic two smoke oil. No leading, even in one Ruger which would lead with round ball at target velocities…
0FA77EFA-7F88-4556-874A-2508D6036838.jpeg
A66AEF99-5D1F-4C50-9AD6-78F19198C997.jpeg

Back