• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cone shaped breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
It seems like I remember reading something about some muzzleloaders having a cone shaped breech on this forum. Maybe I'm just goin' crazy or somethin' because I can't find squat about it now.

So if I'm not going crazy, and they do exist, what's the advantage of a coned breech. ::

A "snail breech" is kinda cone shaped,,(?) maybe that's where ya saw it?
The advantage is sposta be that the ignition source leads to the main charge following a curved progressivley larger cavity to the back or bottom of the main.( much like T/C and Lyman GP models)(Bridger Hawkin).
Other styles lead the ignition source to the main at "right angles" or from the side of the charge(drum breech or vent)

Or maybe you saw "coned vents" thats a plus too;(?)

Original percussion revolvers have conical chambers, maybe that was it?

There is a wonderful old tool for cutting a cone up behind the touch on a flinter.

Around 1807 the British Army experimented with Nock's modification to Gardner's "nail breech". A conical restriction designed to catch and hold the ball one diameter above the powder. Test results were good, the balls were simply dropped in and without ramming the rate of fire increased 50%. 100 muskets were converted but field trials revealed all sorts of problems so it was scrapped.

Yes, for one, TC's patent breeches are coned and taper/curve down towards the vent / nipple

Or then again, maybe it was Crockett in the "Fouling scrapers and vent picks" thread" ::

That's it! I saw it on Crockett's post! And if I'm not mistaken, my Cabela's Blue Ridge flinter has a coned breech. When I put the fowlnig scraper on my rod and drop it in, it just sticks in the bottom and I can't hardly get it to twist. I guess it's just getting wedged in there. Since I couldn't scrape it, I've been taking the vent liner out and using some big thick pipe cleaners to clean the breech out.

Now, does anybody know where I can get a scraper to fit my rifle?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's a .36.

my Cabela's Blue Ridge flinter has a coned breech.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it's a .36.

What you do is get a regular fouling scraper and contact member Harpman, he has a mini-lathe and he's just itching to turn some gadgets...

Ask him to taper it for you... :winking:

Latest posts

Back