• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt Styles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxenro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Seems like the question comes up often what styles Colt made so here is a quick primer on open tops

Colt Patent Arms made three different open top (no top strap) frame sizes for percussion revolvers:

1. Holster Model (6 shot cylinder)

A. Non Rebated Frame (Walker / Dragoon size grips)
    1. Walker (.44 caliber 9" "Dragoon" style barrel [half round half octogon] hinged loading lever no latch)
    2. 1st Model Dragoon (.44 caliber 7.5" "Dragoon" style barrel [half round half octogon] hinged loading lever)
    3. 2nd Model Gragoon (.44 caliber 7.5" "Dragoon" style barrel [half round half octogon] hinged loading lever)
    4. 3rd Model Dragoon (.44 caliber 7.5" "Dragoon" style barrel [half round half octogon] hinged loading lever)

B. Rebated Frame
    1. None

2. Belt Models (6 shot cylinder)

A. Non Rebated Frame (Navy size grips)
    1. 1851 Navy (.36 caliber 7.5" octogon barrel hinged loading lever)
    2. 1861 Navy (.36 caliber 7.5" round barrel creeping loading lever)

B. Rebated Frame (Army size grips)
    1. 1860 Army (.44 caliber 8" round barrel creeping loading lever)

3. Pocket Models (Many variations exist with different barrel lengths, 5 and 6 shot cylinders, with and without loading levers)

A. Non Rebated Frame (Pocket size grips)
    1. 1848 Baby Dragoon (.31 caliber 4 to 6" octogon barrel no loading lever)
    2. 1849 Pocket (.31 caliber 4 to 6" octogon barrel hinged loading lever)

B. Rebated Frame (Pocket size grips)
    1. 1862 Police (.36 caliber 4.5 to 6.5" round barrel creeping loading lever)
    1. 1862 Trapper (.36 caliber 3.5" round barrel no loading lever)
    3. 1865 Pocket Navy (.36 caliber 4.5 to 6.5" octogon barrel hinged loading lever)

Of course there are variations on all of the above but that is the basics

Good information, thanks. I should say that I think some of the earliest (Patterson NJ) guns were rifles and they had top straps- the point being that Colt figured the pistols without top straps were plenty strong.

Nice summation. I have been on the road to collect an example of each 'style' or 'type'. I started with a 3rd model Dragoon, picked up a '51 Navy, and lastly a '62 Police. A '49 Pocket and a '60 should finish the series. Your article helps to confirm. :hatsoff:

Then on to a Patterson and Root... :slap:

Hinged lever;

9ee648db-2abd-486c-b7d4-339244e553e1_zpse04skja4.jpg

Creeping lever It's got "teeth/gears";

c210db5c-3391-4c3c-aeb3-c406129ce120_zps6hlsp39e.jpg

Latest posts

Back