• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ T Frizzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know who made the 1861 Colt muskets? Any one have experience with them? Do they have the Sam Colt "signature" on them? Thanks.

The Special Model 1861 Rifle Musket was made by Colt, Lamson Goodnow and Yale and Amoskeag Manufacturing Co.

The Colt made muskets are marked on the lockplate in front of the hammer "US", "Colt's Pt. F. A. Mfg. Co." "HARTFORD CT" in two lines, with an eagle on the cone seat and the date such as "1862" in rear of the hammer.

Hope this helps.

I should have been clearer. I meant the repro Colt rifle-musket that ran concurrently with the "Signature Series" C&B revolvers. Were they American made, or Italian or Japanese? And did Colt Blackpowder inflict the Sam Colt "signature" travesty on them?

:redface: Sorry, thought you meant the real McCoy. And I'm kinda stupid, I've never heard of the "Signature" Series. I'm goin' to have to get out more.
::

I appreciated the information anyway. And it really was my mistake--I reread my first post and it is at best ambiguous. :sorry:
Having never heard of the "Signature Series" Colts doesn't make you stupid, it makes you fortunate. These are also known as the "Third Generation Guns", basically poorly built and with a silly Sam Colt "signature" stamped into the backstrap. Why anyone would do this is beyond me. And judging from the number of these guns that are a glut on the on-line auction houses--they seem to never sell--others think this was a dumb idea, too. Probably explains why Colt Blackpowder went out of business. :imo:

Well, we both learned something today anyway, didn't we? Are any of those El Cheapo muskets worth salvaging or altering into something good?
::

The revolvers were usually clunkers, but sometimes could be fixed. I've got a "Sig Series" '60 Colt Army that I finally got working well. Then I aged it after I filed the goofy signature off the back strap. The ones at most auction houses are priced higher than the second gen guns. By a couple of hundred bucks. They aren't worth it.
I don't know about the muskets. I'm trying to find out about any quality issues that might exist. I'm planning on picking up an 1861 rifle-musket, and thought the Colt version might be good. Maybe I'll just get an Armi Sport--my 1842 musket is a beauty.

I would like to have an M1842 Rifled Musket, but the prices are way too high for me. A feller who used to be in my reenacting unit wants to trade me an original for my early Parker-Hale Whitworth. I'm very tempted. It is a nice one! But, it's kinda tough, trying to make a decision like that.
:hmm:

I'd keep the Whitworth. You'll kick yourself if you trade it away. I want a rifled '42 myself, and I'm saving pocket change every day so I can get one. I see them for $500 to $550 every so often. I saw a nice one at a local gun show a few months ago for $450. Shoulda bought it.
I'd be a little nervous lighting off an 80-90 grain charge in an original. Especially under a massive minie.

:agree: I've thought about that myself. I've got a .69 cal. Ideal mold here that throws a beautiful original style Minie that I'm just itchin' to shoot, but they don't fly so well from a smoothbore, and I don't have anything else to play with. I'll probably just keep my eyes open and once I start my new job maybe I can save a little at a time and buy a new one. But, there's nothing that can compare with an original, especially one in the condition that one was in.

On the other hand, how many guys have a Parker-Hale Whitworth with a two digit serial number and a patina that has made many think it was an original and shoots like a house 'afire. I reckon I'll keep it fer a while.

I have a colt signture series 1861 musket shoots pretty good at 100yrds with about 65grns of powder. As to the quality it has never given me any trouble. :results:

Back