• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial Rifle build?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan lbsmyr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,
does anyone have any experience with the Colonial rifle from TOW? I was thinking in a .54 cal 42" GM barrel. Golden Age lock(Chambers)What style builder could you replicate? Comments, concerns?
Thank you
Dan

No experience with it but it would make a real good shooter for you.

I do disagree with their designation that this rifle kit represents something "colonial". It is offered with skinny straight sided octagon barrels and a narrow buttplate and buttstock. Those parts belong on a rifle from 1790 onward. The guard is also of later styling, Golden Age. I'd want a wider buttstock, myself.

That does not take away from quality or shoot-ability or the service or fun you'll get from it. Just wanted to give you as much info as I could from looking it over.

I am currently building one in 50-cal (15/16" barrel). It is a good kit, but probably not a "true" representative of a "colonial longrifle", as Rich said. Still, you do get your money's worth. I am loosely modeling mine after a Peter Resor (Lancaster County) rifle that he built in the 1750's. If I decide to add a patchbox, it will be a sliding wooden patchbox as on the Resor rifle. BTW, the stock style is "Lancaster," at least acording to TOTW. I got mine with the Chamber's Early Ketland lock and am quite impressed with it, so you may wish to consider that lock if you want an "early" look. Another nice thing about the early rifles is that you can get away without cutting a finial on the tang. I just plain like the looks of a plain, flared tang.
DJL

I don't think it is a good representative of a Colonial rifle, as it is too late of styling & also wrong lock for such a period.
If I was to build a Colonial rifle I would use a Chambers VA or Colonial lock as such & also a stock that is thicker & a wider butt would be more appropriate of the period.

hey fellows,
Thank you very much for the insight on the last post of the "colonial" I see now after your comments and clearer research that this one would be better served as a Golden Age.
How does this one look to you? I see it is $90 for a plain which is a small amount more than a blank (counting shipping). As a lurker, you guys have continuously mentioned learning shape and style, so I thought that I might be ahead with something closer to a finished shape to start with. Again, I really want to learn and practice, I am currently doing a kentucky pistol from a rough kit( quite a bit of inletting)to get experience, and am taking my time and continuously challenged.
I expect to do more guns, but I need a few starter guns that keep the costs down. You guys are right, this is highly addictive!! I want to get to the point where I feel i could (with careful planning), not be intimidated by most any flintlock project. This one has a straight barrel, but is a wider buttplate. I dont nessessarily need to by the hardwhere here, but the lock, stock and barrel I probably would. Wadda ya think? It is the Jacob Dickert from Track-no lock inlet
Dan

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(mm4bll553cyrct3uxkhe5u45))/imgPart/stk-dk_1.jpg

That's the right mindset. Think of yourself as an apprentice taking on your first rifle build, which is pretty accurate. I didn't feel that $400 was too much money for a first "real" build, and once you do a lot of things the first time (i.e., seating a breechplug, bending a tang, cutting dovetails, inletting a lock, installing a buttplate and on and on) they don't seem so daunting the next time.
Either of those TOTW kits will give you a clean, solid, and probably good shooting rifle. You will have a quality barrel and a good Chambers lock. Even if it isn't historically correct, you have plenty more rifles in the future to get the historical thing down.
DJL

I suggest the Isaac Haines rifle with a Colerain or Rice C-54 barrel in 38", brass trim, Chambers Siler lock, single trigger for the first build.

Latest posts

Back