• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning review please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot water does not cause flash rusting. Oxygen does. And it's so thin it is polished off with no effort. It's a tarnish over heavy rusting any day of the week.

Boiling deoxygenates water, it also drives off chlorine but that takes a little longer. I think the guys who get flash rusting are using water that hasn't been boiled but is simply hot and off gassing chlorine and dissolved oxygen. I think this combined with the fact that hot water is such a great cleaner is what is causing flash rust issues for those that encounter it.

Boiling deoxygenates water, it also drives off chlorine but that takes a little longer. I think the guys who get flash rusting are using water that hasn't been boiled but is simply hot and off gassing chlorine and dissolved oxygen. I think this combined with the fact that hot water is such a great cleaner is what is causing flash rust issues for those that encounter it.
I always used boiled well water so no chlorine

"Hot water does not cause flash rusting. Oxygen does. And it's so thin it is polished off with no effort. It's a tarnish over heavy rusting any day of the week.

Huh, since I stopped using very hot water the flash rusting does not happen anymore.

Oxygen content is 20.8 percent of the atmosphere, whether using tepid or hot water.

"I always used boiled well water so no chlorine"

The well water at one of my pumps (shallow well) at the ranch is high is iron oxide, the deep well is not.

Tepid water is the way to go.

Been shooting the same flintlock since 1981 and use 1 part Ballistol mixed with 3 parts water to clean. Wipe bore down with a heavy oil like Accuguard or RIG grease for long storage. Wipe out bore with alcohol when time to take out and shoot again. Never have any noticeable rust in the bore.

"The purpose of the very hot water is to evaporate the moisture ."

Just came back from a shoot and every person I saw at the end of the day was cleaning their rifles/pistols and shot guns with faucet water out of the tap, no hot water to be found.

After tepid water, wiping with a dry patches works.

Wiping with an alcohol patch works if you are really concerned about water.

Wonder how much the www. started the hot water thing?

"The purpose of the very hot water is to evaporate the moisture ."

Just came back from a shoot and every person I saw at the end of the day was cleaning their rifles/pistols and shot guns with faucet water out of the tap, no hot water to be found.

After tepid water, wiping with a dry patches works.

Wiping with an alcohol patch works if you are really concerned about water.

Wonder how much the www. started the hot water thing?
I wonder how many frontiers people or marching armies used alcohol 🤔

I do know that in freezing conditions I would not want any cold water near my barrel for cleaning but there would always be a fire going with very hot water to hand🤔

Boiling hot water = pain in the rump, possible burned hands, doesn't clean any better than warm, and, cause or not, does leave flash rust after a minute or two. You could throw your barrel in the creek and swab it and it will get just about as clean. I will admit, boiling hot water will break down things like bore butter, grease, lard etc, but I never have that in my guns. Use what you like, the boiling water theory makes no sense to me. You can message me for a good alternative.

Boiling hot water = pain in the rump, possible burned hands, doesn't clean any better than warm, and, cause or not, does leave flash rust after a minute or two. You could throw your barrel in the creek and swab it and it will get just about as clean. I will admit, boiling hot water will break down things like bore butter, grease, lard etc, but I never have that in my guns. Use what you like, the boiling water theory makes no sense to me. You can message me for a good alternative.
I'm good thanks but hey...😊

we all know that back in the day, that the BRITISH troops would sometimes PEE down there barrels to loosen up the black powder fouling. the ammonia in PEE is what would cut it!

Back