• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned this on my own, and I shot pyrodex for 20 years. I had a 45 Kentucky where the breech was bored past the flame channel. Oil would get down in there and was no problem on the range. When you loaded for hunting and waited 2 hours n a stand, it might take three caps to set it off! I tried a little bit of everything to make that gun work right. Making my guns go off when I wanted them to kind of became an obsession. If I take that screw out and put a 2 grain prime in the bolster, the gun will go off everytime if the cap goes off. It will not hang fire. It will shoot to point of aim, even with a 5 day old load if I wish. On this one, I go with what has worked for many years for me. I also primed for every shot at the last gathering I shot at because my gun is a hair more accurate when primed. All of my procedures are what has worked for me, my CVA guns, and they were worked up using Pyrodex.

Just got back from the hardware store, Traditions wanted $4.00 a piece plus shipping. I got 2 hex screws SS, cut them to size, works perfect. Now , all I need to take it out is a small wrench, no more stripping the slotted screw. Thanks again for everyones imput.

Good for you. An Allen wrench beats a screwdriver any day of the week! The only problem I have ever had with allen wrenches is finding the darn things when I need them. Since you only use the short end, consider heating the long end up and making a loop on that end so you can tie it to a strip of leather in your bag.

Right or wrong, I have always taken the CLEAN OUT
screw out everytime I clean my guns and use the pipe cleaner to run around the corner into the barrel. If I have a gun without one I drill and tap it and put one. Never had a problem except on used guns that someone never cleaned. Have replaced some with allen head plug screws 6 or 8 x32. I carry an allen wrench with a round head for
a thong in every shooting bag.

FYI..

On my Traditions Deerhunter the clean out screw is ...

STEEL, NOT BRASS

METRIC

5 mm with a .80 thread pitch

Back