• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Pending funds Circa late 1970's Half stock percussion Hawken style rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This unsigned rifle came to me about a year ago. That's as far back as I can trace the provenance, although I, and several other persons of some knowledge, believe it was made in the late 70's. The lock is dated by the lock maker 1975. Here are the details:

I believe the furniture came from the Hawken Shop in St. Louis. During this era Art Riesel (sp) was contracting makers to build rifles using his parts..
The patch box seems to be non standard design and some irregularity shows the maker probably created the profile from a larger frame. Another detail is the very nice grease pit under the patch box lid. The carving is elegant.
The rifle has a 34" Wm Large bbl of 54 caliber. Square cut land/grooves.
The barrel appears to have a VERY slight taper from 1+" at the breech.
The lock was made by H.W. Robbins, a lock maker in the 60's – 70's who lived in Michigan.
Interestingly, I've been told that he lived in a wheel chair and had his machine shop set up so he could work. It is a beautiful piece of work.
All of the inletting is excellent and the lock sits in a inlet that is clean and professionally carved.
The maker installed a sheet metal wear plate on the belly of the forearm exactly where the rifle would rest when mounted crossway's on a horse. I've never seen this clever piece of added embellishment .
The stock is a beautiful piece of maple with no damage. It is clear this rifle has been well cared for over the years.
The rifle weighs 9+ pounds
The hickory RR is tapped for 8-32 jags, etc.

Price (including shipping) $2150

Attachments

• name paper.jpg
    name paper.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 4
  • porch view1.jpg
    porch view1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
  • porch view2.jpg
    porch view2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • patch b0x porch.jpg