• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

1970's Hawken presentation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I present the contemporary right handed Hawken I scored on an estate auction in Maine in late October. On Saturday the 24th of December it was delivered and when I opened the box I was stunned. I had never held such a beautiful work intended to be just a tool for some historical character.

1. Curly maple stock
2. Lock by Robbins dated 4-1974 (a lock maker in Michigan 60's - 70's)
3. 54 caliber barrel by w.m. Large, tapered 1 1/8" to 1" (also has J.J.J.J. stamped under the Large logo (?)
4. Fitted under the forearm is a sheet metal wear plate which covers the wood from the rear entry pipe to wrapping around the front of the trigger plate. *
5. Island type patch box
6 From the estate of Frank Glenn Marsh (?)
7. Tapered Oak ram rod
* This feature is new to me but when I saw it I immediatly understood what it is for and why it's useful.

Attachments

• Hawken full image.jpg
    Hawken full image.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Lock.jpg
    Lock.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 0
  • metal patch box.jpg
    metal patch box.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0
  • wear plate 3.jpg
    wear plate 3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
  • wear plate 5.jpg
    wear plate 5.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 0
  • trigger group fitment.jpg
    trigger group fitment.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Very nice gun. There is a good chance that the ‘wear plate’ is there because the ramrod hole got too close to the bottom of the stock when it was made, just like you find on some original guns.
You, Sir, are a smart man.

I recently cut a stock belly to within a 32nd of the ramrod channel. Those course rasps sure do remove wood fast.

What you pointed out will go into the memory hole in case she ever opens up.

Back