• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chronographed Loads in My Custom Engraved .54 Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I am giving this rifle to my nephew David and wanted to check patch material and Goex and Olde Eynsford powders in it for velocity and accuracy before shipping. I built it in 2001, using a Douglas barrel and a barrel-inletted blank. Sawed it out with handsaws. Built it for Ron Smith, who killed two deer with it and then had shoulder surgery and could no longer use it. I built him a .40 Hawken and traded it back. He recently died and I bought the .40 from his widow. This rifle has a couple thousand rounds through it now, almost all over a chronograph and on targets.

The rifle is hard on patches and should have over-powder wads, in fact I learned about them using it. Did not use them today and had bad results, but that is what I wanted to find out. Started with .013 (crush) red canvas duck from WalMart, 1 1/2" square and a lube of half Murphy Oil Soap and half 91% alcohol. Had a patch on the seating jag so wiped the bore as I seated each ball. Started with 80 grains (weight-calibrated measure) of Goex 3F on the bottom left target, first two patches blew, opened the group but did not seem to affect the velocity, which averaged 1587 fps for five shots. Then wiped the bore (cleaning the bullet seat) and went to 80 grains of Goex 2F, everything else the same on the bottom right target. All good patches except #4 blew, opening the group. Velocity averaged 1573 fps- just about the same as Goex 3F. This is a good load in most any .54 caliber rifle but 3F might be as good if not for the blown patches. Seems to happen with a clean bore.

A closeup of the two targets with my 80 grain Goex 2F measure.

Next I used the same regime except 100 grains of Goex 2F, left target. All good patches and velocity 1735 fps. The right hand target is with 120 grains of Goex 2F, my favorite full power hunting load. The first patch holed, but the low shot is probably due to the clean bore and the low velocity. This is why a fouler is often necessary. I don't know why the velocity was so low. Deleted that from the string and shot five more for an average of 1881 fps, 62 fps spread.

Next I went to 80 grains of Olde Eynsford 2F, same regime, but all patches except #5 blew. There was radio interference with my chronograph and I got only four readings. Shot a sixth shot hoping to get a reading, but did not. The four averaged 1623 fps. The powder grouped very well, but this is not the patch for it, unless with an overpowder wad. Hoping to avoid the first shot with the next powder being wild or blowing a patch, I did not clean the bore after this group.

I now used .022/.014 (crush) linen, a fine patch in my other rifles, and 120 grains of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F. Expected great things, but it shot high and #3 was off-target. All patches blew. After the first shot I could hardly seat the ball for fouling about 6-8" in front of the breech. Just like heavy loads of Swiss 1 1/2F in my .58. Had to really jab the ball down to seat it. Velocity low but even, 1763 fps. Don't know what it would be if the patches hadn't blown all to pieces. Cleaned the bore and went to 120 grains of Olde Eynsford 2F and .021/.014 soft canvas. Patches blew all to pieces for shots 3,4 and 5, strung out. Velocity 1953 with 124 spread.

So then I went to 100 grains of OE 2F and the .014 soft canvas and all patches except one blew. Four velocities averaged 1866 fps. I thought OE 2F was much like Goex 2F, but it sure was different in this rifle.

My .54 Bridger Hawken liked OE 2F and 1 1/2F. Using these same patch materials, I shot four groups of 24 shots with 100 grains of OE 2F and they averaged 1793 fps. Seven groups of 40 shots of 100 grains of OE 1 1/2F averaged 1759 fps, and not many blown patches. I didn't try 120 grains in it. Eighty grains of Goex 2F averaged 1477 fps for five shots. Six groups of 24 shots of 100 grains of Goex 2F averaged 1712 fps.

Everett's "Correct but Different Hawken" .54 got 1523 fps average for nine shots of 80 grains of Goex 2F, 1745 fps for eight shots of 100 grains Goex 2F and 1843 fps for four shots of 120 grains of Goex 2F.

So now I can advise David on what loads and patches work well, namely 80 or 100 or 120 grains of Goex 2F and red canvas duck from WalMart.

Herb, I wouldn't be happy with that.

You should send it to me. I'll work out the kinks for you over the next couple of years.

She will shoot like a dream when I send it back :rotf:

Just looking at the targets, it looks like 80 grains of Old Eynsford is giving you the tightest group and a .54 cal patched round ball with 1623 fps MV will have plenty of what Rifleman refers to as "whompability". I think that looks like the load that is the best for that rifle. :hmm:

I'd sure want the patch issues better sorted before making that choice. But it's not my gun, and it's not my hunting terrain.

My wife uses only 60 grains of 3f in her 54, while I'm using 90. She sure doesn't suffer from so little, while I find I need my trajectory considerably flatter. Pretty sure that means she's a better hunter than I am..... :rotf:

Billnpatti said:
1623 fps MV will have plenty of what Rifleman refers to as "whompability". I think that looks like the load that is the best for that rifle. :hmm:

Whompability is often quoted by Roundball not Rifleman 1776.

Back