• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Christmas Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyReb3

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just before Christmas i stopped by a local pawn shop and walked the isles, didn't see much and was on my way back out the door when i spotted something long and brown leaned up against a rack behind the counter. I ask what it was and the shop owner rattled off that it was a .58 1803 Harpers Ferry by Navy Arms. I asked to see it and he picked it up, almost handed it over but then stopped and pulled the ramrod, first checking to see if it was loaded. He then handed it over and said he had just gotten it in and hadn't even tagged it yet. Quite honestly i didn't know a thing about the gun other than it was big and it was pretty. I ask him "how much" and he shrugged and said $120.00. Merry Christmas to me :)

I got it home, did some reading on the rifle and found it was a 1975 model, a Zoli and seems like one heck of a rifle. I've never had much interest in flintlocks but this one kinda has my eye. Very nice walnut stock, gorgeous oct\round barrel, attractive lock and it fits me well. The more i looked at it the more i like it and although i was initially considering just trading it off i now intend to keep it and try it out. A previous owner appears to have kept the rifle in fantastic "aged" condition until more recently when someone evidently fired her without proper cleaning and a bit of light corrosion is around the touchhole, a good scrubbing is in order. The patchbox is gone and a sheet of brass was cut to pattern and attached. The rear sight is missing and the face of the frizzen looks like someone took a side grinder to it. It does spark a bit however.

Couldn't have asked for a better present to myself and i look forward to figuring out some good load for the rifle and shooting it, have always used percussion ML'ers but i think i'll like trying this one out.
http://s195.photobucket.com/user/xxjonnyrebxx/media/20141210_184425.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by a moderator:
A steal for sure, very nice. I wouldn't clean it too much it looks original! Nice find...enjoy! :thumbsup:

Also cool the guy knew how to check if it was loaded!

I thought the same thing and was impressed when he checked it out. He looks like Yosemite Sam and i always kinda thought he was a frontloader kinda guy..and 6 shooter in particular but even if not he knew his way around one.

No i won't scrub too much, just enough to take it back to brown. Sure enough, i thought it was a much older rifle when first seen, whether the aging is from use or was done purposefully i don't know but assume it was someones prized replica at some time and they put it to use. As always i wish i knew the history behind it and its appearance. The brass sheet replacing what used to be the patchbox is a mystery too, did the old spring release fail and the entire mechanism was removed or is this someone personalizing their rifle? Some things about our guns we'll just never know. Think i'll just leave it as it too, although i did see the replacement patch box door assembly still available at one of the online sites.

I have an orignal and these guns are usually considered to be the most beautiful military arm ever made. For the price it's worth it even if you just hang it on the wall as art IMO. But I think you'll have it up and running soon anyway...

Cleaning -- easy. Frizzen-face hardening? No biggie -- send it off to MVT. Patchbox!? Someday...

Great find. You will love it.

I have one that I bought when they first came out. Your patchbox looks pretty much like the original, from what I can tell in the picture.

They made these in .58 caliber (instead of the original .54) because they used the same barrel that they used in the Civil War muskets, and just reshaped the exterior. It shoots rounball, and will do minnies as well, or better, since that's what it was made for. I always used RB.

It may require some tuning up to get it to be reliable, but that's part of the fun of a flintlock.

As Alden said, the original Harpers Ferry is considered by many to be the most beautiful rifle ever issued to the troops.

You paid about the same for yours as I did for mine, back when it was brand new. A friend got a case of them, directly from Val Forgett.

Enjoy.

Hey awesome posts! Thanks guys. Thats some great info in ya'lls posts and i enjoyed every one.

Will do as said and get it up and running. I see an similar rear sight is available in a couple different places online..i have to source some 2f \priming BP, no one nearby carries it and shipping it sounds like a pain and an expense..did see some mention of Bass Pro having it, will call the one nearby to see. I'll try the RB first and will stick with it if it'll shoot.

I can agree with those who mentioned the 03' being a looker...can't imagine the thrill of having an original but even this inexpensive repro is quite a fine looking piece, imho..all the positive comments make me feel even better about my find, thanks again!

Definitely give Bass Pro a call first. It can be hit or miss. In fact, I've heard of employees saying they didn't stock it...but had no clue was Goex was. Our local store does carry it, though.

Thanks Stuart you were right, just found that my local BP does sell it. :grin:
Will call to check stock before making the ride over but at least i know its available.

Heres a few pics of the rifle, wish i could get the whole pic to show up instead of the link but its the only way i seem to be able to post them.
http://s195.photobucket.com/user/x...s[user]=46436854&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2
http://s195.photobucket.com/user/x...s[user]=46436854&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
http://s195.photobucket.com/user/x...s[user]=46436854&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

Last edited by a moderator:
It does look like a two piece barrel that was imported by Dixie Gun Works back in the 60's. If I recall it was called the Minute Man imported from Japan.

Pull the barrel from the stock and check the breech plug and run a tight patch down the bore. If it's 2 piece you will feel a catch at the junction between the round to octagon. If the breech plug is spot welded in, I would recommend not shooting it.

Are there any markings to ID it as a Zoli? Should be proofed with Italian marks.

Did some reading and it seems it was only the Miroku barrels for ultra-hi that were 2 pc? This one is marked A. Zoli in 2 different spots and has both italian proofs and boxed date stamp. It appears to be one solid piece of steel and a heavy one at that. I do appreciate the warning as i'd like to keep my eyesight and all 10 fingers.. :v

With the better pictures you've posted, I can see that the patchbox is not the original. On mine, it hinges at the top, where the rectangular portion begins, and the button to spring the lid is located at the top side of the buttplate. Also, the lid comes down even with the buttplate.

It also does not have the brass band just forward of the entry pipe at the front of the stock.

Still a nice looking rifle. The correct patchbox cover can be bought (or made, if you have those skills). It should be a good shooter, and capable of taking anything you would ever want to hunt on this continent.

It is not a two-piece barrel. It is Italian made, and the barrel is half-round. I have the exact same rifle (and got it in almost the exact same way, 'cept mine was loaded when I bought it.)

Thanks BPD! I appreciate your posts and sure enough, better safe than sorry.

Just curious Electric Miner, what loads do you use in yours?
Ever shoot a rb? I believe thats where i'll start..less recoil and cheaper ammo. Do you use 3 or 4f as a priming powder?

Thanks for your posts too Grumpa, i appreciate your interest in the topic and taking the time to check out the pics and post.
I think i'll leave the patchbox as it,,, i was wrong too when i said it was sheet brass..they used copper. Doesn't match a thing and is inoperable of course but i kinda like it. Interesting you noted the missing front brass band too, i hadn't noticed that..thanks again for your posts!

Am kinda excited to say that i DID locate Goex at my local Bass Pro and they had all of it in stock. I picked up a lb of 3f and a lb of 2f. Gonna try the 3f as my priming powder, hopefully it will work ok..from what i read on this site it should i guess. I haven't smelled real black in over a decade and look forward to my first whiff of it again. I now lack only a proper sized mold for rb's and a rear sight, will order both this evening and maybe willget to shoot it next weekend..might even shoot a few blank loads this New Years eve :)

And YOU Mick C., are far too kind Sir. I appreciate your words very much but you guys gotta stop..i almost found myself telling the wife about my new "great deal" :doh: luckily i stopped just shy of the intro and went back to quietly messing with one of my "old guns". I'll take my moment of "flea market nirvana" onsite and run with it though, thanks again :thumbsup:

A mention again of Bass Pro shop...i never really thought much of them, seeing them as another mass merchant but i have to say that they were the only outdoors supply retailer within 100+ miles of me who carried black powder. None of the half dozen gunshops around my area were willing to put up with the paperwork and requirements that were part of carrying Black, not a one. The guy at Basspro told me today he had to go get the powder from the far side on the warehouse in its "bunker", a safe actually. I appreciate them for going to the lengths to sell products noone else was willing to sell.

Alright, am off to go find a rear sight and some balls. J.

edit: who knows, i might tell her about it yet.

:shake: :shake: :applause: :shake:

Back