• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheek piece on a Hawken,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ hunter Didn't realize there were so many Hawken snobs here. You sound like TVM when I requested they leave the cheek piece off of my "custom" Leman, they said they couldn't attach their name to it. I have to wonder if I had walked into a gunsmith shop during the day when Real Hawkens (all today are replicas) were being built and requested the stock be straight sided if the smith would refuse my business.
Maybe. Might have told you to leave. You never know.

A cheek rest can be both elegant and functional.

Don't flame the innocent ignorant meek unexperienced neophyte that I am, but could you and others in here please explain to me the physical purpose and benefits of a cheek rest? Not appearance and aesthetic benefits! I mean the tangible functional physical benefit you get from a cheek rest as opposed to a stock without one that fits you.

OMW,

Are there more pics of the Edge Hawken somewhere? That looks like a very fine rifle!

GT

Here you go...

.54 caliber; Bob Roller lock. I recently purchased it from Track of the Wolf.

Attachments

• EdgeHawken1.jpg
    EdgeHawken1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EdgeHawken2.jpg
    EdgeHawken2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
  • EdgeHawken4.jpg
    EdgeHawken4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
  • EdgeHawken5.jpg
    EdgeHawken5.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 0
Don't flame the innocent ignorant meek unexperienced neophyte that I am, but could you and others in here please explain to me the physical purpose and benefits of a cheek rest? Not appearance and aesthetic benefits! I mean the tangible functional physical benefit you get from a cheek rest as opposed to a stock without one that fits you.
Sure. A cheek rest is used to make the stock effectively thicker than one without it, moving the face to the side, not up. This can help to align the eye laterally with the sight plane.

Some like them, some don't. If a stock fits you without one, great.

Mine DOESN'T.

Interesting thing about the cheek-piece is it's one of the evolutions in the development of rifles in North America.
The rifle-smithing that came from the Germaners' Jeager rifles. The early colonial rifles had the square rest, but that changed to what we have there. Beavertail. Nothing more American.
Sand away, Commie.
The beavertail or round cheeek piece is English

@ hunter Didn't realize there were so many Hawken snobs here. You sound like TVM when I requested they leave the cheek piece off of my "custom" Leman, they said they couldn't attach their name to it. I have to wonder if I had walked into a gunsmith shop during the day when Real Hawkens (all today are replicas) were being built and requested the stock be straight sided if the smith would refuse my business.
I probably refused to make 1/4 of the guns requested of me. No big deal. I had a waiting list of generally 30+ most of the time. If the customer wanted a stupid gun I would refer him to somebody that would make something stupid.

I probably refused to make 1/4 of the guns requested of me. No big deal. I had a waiting list of generally 30+ most of the time. If the customer wanted a stupid gun I would refer him to somebody that would make something stupid.
Reminds me of a friend who runs a smithy/range. He turns down people because he knows them. Guy wanted him to re-barrel his rifle. My guy says he's too busy. I know he's got nothing real, so I ask when the guy leaves.
"Because Billy-bob there will burn that barrel also then tell everyone how I done a bad job."

Where did you get this diagram? It seems to be very well detailed. Something you would frame and hang in the workshop.
It is the famed “Robidoux Hawken” print. A gent named Wayne Robidoux in Nebraska dissected and precisely measured and drafted an original as a tech school project back in the Renaissance of muzzleloading (early 70’s).
They are very well done and there are 6 prints in total. A motivated individual could build a very nice rifle from them.
There are some copies out there floating around.
FYI- due to the numerous amount of copying on different machines there is a minor (but notable) scaling problem. We caught it when one of my engineers was looking at them, he calculated that the print was about .03% too large.
If you work strictly from the measurements you’re fine- if you try to work from the scale of the drawing you will be too large.
You could get a drafting/blueprint shop to correct it but I was quoted $200+ to have it done.

Last edited:
1- You asked for opinions and got them.

2- TVM wouldn't make a Leman w/o a cheek rest? That's their perogative, as their name is attached to it and they apparently feel it would be an inaccurate representation of a specific gun, lefty or not. An artist has a right to refuse a commission piece when it goes against their art.

You've got .80cal ones calling anyone here "snobs."

The evil Mike Brooks reminds me of my late friend Bruce Horne, he really upset more than one guy that came to him wanting a fantasy gun or horn or whatever made and was told flat out no.

If his name was going on it, it was going to built correctly or it was not being built.

The evil Mike Brooks reminds me of my late friend Bruce Horne, he really upset more than one guy that came to him wanting a fantasy gun or horn or whatever made and was told flat out no.

If his name was going on it, it was going to built correctly or it was not being built.
I knew Bruce and Pappy. Hard to believe both have passed on.

Latest posts

Back