• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheating at ML clays

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin,
No offense intended! :surrender: :bow: :v I really do appreciate the fact that the originals are there. The history of Europe is so much longer than the history of Europeans being here.
Please, by all means, post the pic of your caplock. I loved seeing that double flinter with rebated breechplugs.
volatpluvia

volatpluvia said:
No offense intended! :surrender:

No offence was taken, I just have an evil sense of humour :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about this clay competition and what I really need is to increase the length of this flinter temporarily. I tried a 3/4" rubber butt extender and it isn't enough :hmm:

Squire Robin said:
I really need is to increase the length of this flinter temporarily. I tried a 3/4" rubber butt extender and it isn't enough

I've used these in the photo below...

In one case I slipped one on a Flintlock I use for turkey hunting and it happened to give me the LOP I needed...then had a fringed suede butt cuff made to lace on over that and hid the modern looking recoil pad.

In another case of a SxS Navy Arms .12ga caplock, the stock was ridiculously short so I used one of these slip-on pads AND cut out a couple of extra spacers from a foam rubber "mouse pad" to fit inside the slip on recoil pad to add more length.
http://www.pistoleer.com/pachmayr/slipon_pads/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Roundball

Appreciate the input but I need a lot of extension. It has to be bolted on or it's going to wobble :thumbsup:

I took the butt plate off, cut a piece of walnut to size, heaven only knows why I used walnut, put a layer of plastic wrap over the butt so it wouldn't stick when I cast it on with type elastic car body filler.

When hard I added a decking screw and got a solid extra 1 1/4". With a rubber boot to hide this malarky that gives me a 2" total which feels a whole lot more pointable.

Next I have to make new top jaws for the locks.

Please, nobody start hair tearing, this is cheating, not restoration. It's okay if it looks like the dog's breakfast because everything will go back the way it was before I started :hatsoff:

best

Squire Robin

extend.jpg

Hopefully I have the ignition sorted out. After much head scratching I remade the flint clamp bolts with shorter heads and packed the back of the top jaw to force the angle of dangle.

For reliable ignition I have to set the flint edge just shy of the steel at half cock, without the packing it hits the top and shatters.

The pinch bolts had to be wrong. They hit the steel before the flint reached the bottom and pushed it clear. This meant sparking was reduced and most of it missd the pan . These new ones don't do that.

After much experimental snapping in the workshop I took it outside and tried lighting some Swiss #2 in the pan. The flint was already tired but managed another 14 perfect flashes before giving out.

Competition is on Sunday. There is a low pressure zone passing over Scotland on Saturday which is going to make it windy down here, but that's supposed to clear overnight. I have exactly 3 spare flints, fingers will need to be crossed :thumbsup:

m5.jpg

Reminds me of the story of the German gunsmith who said "I don't understand vhy you Americans make your guns so simple vhen it is so easy to make zhem COMPLEX!" :rotf:

Back