• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my rifles has a thin brass blade front sight and a simple notched rear. Thinking about changing to a set of these. My old eyes aren't what they used to be.
Anybody else have these?
Screenshot_20210713-181750_Chrome.jpg

If you’re trying to stick with authenticity then those are way off. If you don’t care then you won’t know until you try. Lots of times other factors are more at play than just your current sight. Could be the distance between your eye and the rear sight or the front sight. Moving your rear sight forward or backward might clear things right up for ya. Sometimes this is the case and replacing sights that are in the same location may not improve anything regardless of how fancy they are.

I guarantee you'll find those sights harder to use than the originals, unless you take out the adjustable rear knoch and toss it . Had sets just like that on a Enfield 303 and the Ruger 10/22 ---- terrible.

Try opening up the rear sight knoch you already have with a chain saw file.

I guarantee you'll find those sights harder to use than the originals, unless you take out the adjustable rear knoch and toss it . Had sets just like that on a Enfield 303 and the Ruger 10/22 ---- terrible.

Try opening up the rear sight knoch you already have with a chain saw file.
Those sights on the 10-22 work very well for me and are accurate. I fail to see the problem with using them. I realize though everyone like different sights.

One of my rifles has a thin brass blade front sight and a simple notched rear. Thinking about changing to a set of these. My old eyes aren't what they used to be.
Anybody else have these?View attachment 84818

I can tell you from actual experience, 40 minutes ago, that the front sight does fit...and it falls right out, at least on my Pedersoli Hawken. Rather than cut a new dovetail in the barrel, I am working on a solution to make it not fall so I don't have to ruin the barrel in the process. Anyway, just thought I tell you what happened to me. The sights had been ordered a while ago so when I saw this "thread", I figured I would add my two cents. I honestly didn't think the difference would be that great but surprise, surprise....it is. Hey, at least it didn't break the bank. Pedersoli sells a set of sights for my Hawken but they want $129.00 for them and they don't look that much different than what you've shown. I understand they have to be shipped from Italy but that's a little steep in my book. The rear sights on my Hawken are already pretty good so the front sight is all I needed. Take care, have a great day. Go make some smoke!

Non permanent Lock Tite works well.

Marbles has several different size sights both in height & width of blade or post.
Even metric dove tailed ones..

I can tell you from actual experience, 40 minutes ago, that the front sight does fit...and it falls right out, at least on my Pedersoli Hawken. Rather than cut a new dovetail in the barrel, I am working on a solution to make it not fall so I don't have to ruin the barrel in the process. Anyway, just thought I tell you what happened to me. The sights had been ordered a while ago so when I saw this "thread", I figured I would add my two cents. I honestly didn't think the difference would be that great but surprise, surprise....it is. Hey, at least it didn't break the bank. Pedersoli sells a set of sights for my Hawken but they want $129.00 for them and they don't look that much different than what you've shown. I understand they have to be shipped from Italy but that's a little steep in my book. The rear sights on my Hawken are already pretty good so the front sight is all I needed. Take care, have a great day. Go make some smoke!
Thanks for the heads up. I read some reviews and a number of guys had the same issue.
I opened the rear sight a touch with a small round file and I'm gonna try some florescent green paint on the front sight.

I had ordered two different styles of sights. One was the same front sight you were looking at, the other is a bit more....bling, This is how it ended up.

210714-005.jpg

210714-004.jpg

I'm anxious to try it. I've had cataract surgery in both eyes so my options are limited. I used some aluminum to make a shim and drove them in together. If things work out well, I will get some brass or copper and make one piece shims then locktight the whole works in there. Surprising, that front sight is pretty stable as it is. I can't move it by hand but I'll bet the vibrations from a 70 or 80 gr shot will. That little yellow disk helps me concentrate on that front "dot", it's really small. I know it's not traditional but as long as it works, I'm happy. There are a total of 8 different inserts for the front sight, that yellow disk and the small blade and "dot" seems like it should help me the most.

Happy trails y'all....

Anybody else have these?View attachment 84818
I’ve had similar on modern rifles and always found the white diamond on the rear sight to be very distracting to the eye causing a focus issue, I just just flipped the little plate around so I couldn’t see it, just something to note.

Those sights on the 10-22 work very well for me and are accurate. I fail to see the problem with using them. I realize though everyone like different sights.
As I'm getting older my vision is getting long sighted so the front sight is still clear but the back sights need opening out to let more light through and work more like a peep sight. Had no issues at all with 10/22 sights a few years ago but now just a blur.

I had ordered two different styles of sights. One was the same front sight you were looking at, the other is a bit more....bling, This is how it ended up.

View attachment 85046

View attachment 85047

I'm anxious to try it. I've had cataract surgery in both eyes so my options are limited. I used some aluminum to make a shim and drove them in together. If things work out well, I will get some brass or copper and make one piece shims then locktight the whole works in there. Surprising, that front sight is pretty stable as it is. I can't move it by hand but I'll bet the vibrations from a 70 or 80 gr shot will. That little yellow disk helps me concentrate on that front "dot", it's really small. I know it's not traditional but as long as it works, I'm happy. There are a total of 8 different inserts for the front sight, that yellow disk and the small blade and "dot" seems like it should help me the most.

Happy trails y'all....
I bought a Green Mountain barrel and added a Lyman rear peep sight and the same front sight you are using. I'm 76 yrs. old and it sure did help my old eyes work ! I often shoot matches with a score of 50 and 5x's......I've never had any muzzleloaders that shot like this. If you want to slightly tighten up the front sight, with it out....just take a socket of maybe 3/4 inch and lay on the grove. Tap the socket and it will tighten up the dovetail easily. Best of luck with it all.....

Thanks for the heads up. I read some reviews and a number of guys had the same issue.
I opened the rear sight a touch with a small round file and I'm gonna try some florescent green paint on the front sight.

Good luck. Now, go make some noise and smoke. 👍

I bought a Green Mountain barrel and added a Lyman rear peep sight and the same front sight you are using. I'm 76 yrs. old and it sure did help my old eyes work ! I often shoot matches with a score of 50 and 5x's......I've never had any muzzleloaders that shot like this. If you want to slightly tighten up the front sight, with it out....just take a socket of maybe 3/4 inch and lay on the grove. Tap the socket and it will tighten up the dovetail easily. Best of luck with it all.....

You're a much better shot than me. At 50 yards, my target looks like I'm using a .50 caliber shotgun. The socket idea sounds like it could work, I might try it. The other sight I bought has the same dovetail. If this idea works, I could try the other although I kinda like that front sight the way it is now. Thanks for the suggestions. 👍

Latest posts

Back