• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Change in NY muzzloading privilege - money grab

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwbsmokey

54 Cal
Reaction score
On page 14 of the 2015-2016 NY hunting and trapping regulations there is an addition to the muzzleloading privilege. The addition reads, Note: Residents hunting bear or deer with a muzzleloader during the regular season must possess both a valid hunting license and a current muzzleloading privilege. This includes Westchester and Suffolk counties. This is not listed on the page of highlights of changes for 2015-2016. If you notice the change you will fork over an extra $15.00 for a muzzloading license, and if you don't notice the change and get caught without the muzzloading license, I'm sure the state will be collecting a hefty fine and surcharges from you. It's win win for NY state.

I would encourage you and other residents to contact them and voice your opinion on the matter. It may not help but worth a try.
String

Governments are simply turning into the mafia -- you have worked for money, they want it, and you're gonna give it to them or they're gonna mess you up.

I am a bit confused. In NY to hunt with a muzzleloader you need a muzzleloader license, to hunt with a bow you need a bow license. To hunt you need a hunting license. So if you hunt all of the seasons you need to buy all of the licenses so I do not see the issue. I just bought mine including 2 doe tags so I can shoot 5 deer and the price was $72.00. I have no issue with the rules or the price. Am I missing something?

Dave

You ARE missing something: MOST of these States, to include NY (I hear from an Army buddy at Ft Drum) is supposed to use these taxes for the GOOD of WILDLIFE but are actually using the $$$$$$$ for "the general fund" & evermore mostly wasteful, PORK-filled, "give away projects".

ImVho, MOST "programs" done by government will be FILLED with FRAUD, WASTE & NEEDLESS "pet projects", that benefit the few at the expense of the many.

yours, satx

Yes, what you are missing is that it states that you need to buy a muzzleloading license to use a muzzleloader during the regular gun season. I understand buying a muzzleloading license to hunt the special muzzleloading season, that makes sense. You are buying a tag to hunt another season. But having to buy a muzzleloading tag to hunt just during the gun season is like having to buy a permit to use whatever weapon you choose to use during the regular gun season. Example: a shotgun privilege, rifle privilege, pistol privilege on top of your regular hunting license.

OK I got that now. Did not pick up on it as I always buy a muzzleloader tag and I do hunt during regular gun season with a muzzleloader. Guess I assumed that anyone who uses a muzzleloader would buy the muzzleloader season tag and hunt that season as well so there never would be an issue. :doh: And I did go back and read the rules and you are correct.

In regards to use of funds I did not state that they used the license fees correctly or the way they should I just stated that $72.00 was a reasonable license fee. Trust me I have no love for the NY politicians and government and do not trust them one bit.

Dave

Here in Maine we can hunt regular season with a Muzzle loader,,archery,no extra stamp required,,however if you hunt the Special,extended,Muzzle loader season you must have both a regular big game licence and a Muzzle loader stamp..Go figure!!! Here is one rule that will keep you wondering ,,Racoons are listed as Big Game, in Maine!!!,,,
I use to hunt down around Woodhull, NY might have to rethink that,,licence for out of state was $100.00 last time I hunted there.. up from $55.00 the year before..
Though I have spent $100.00 dollars and got less for my money ,,when I was younger,, :grin:

I thought Westchester county was bow only anyways... There is a type right there in that book.

I was always curious if you had your muzzle license, but did not fill your regular rifle tag. Can you fill your regular season tag, during southern zone late muzzleloader season?

Also, I got my bow certificate and bow hunt as well. However, can you go and get 2 bow/muzzle tags without taking the bow course now? Can you even get one w/o the course.

Fwiw, my "more or less tame" Coon weighed 43 pounds when he was 4 years old.
(Remind me sometime to tell you the story of the night that he "brought a girlfriend home" to spend the night IN our house. = That's FUNNY, even though "the joke was ON me".)

yours, satx

New York State Muzzleloaders Assoc.
RC, Checked with ALbany DEC and it is a misprint for both ML and bow. Will get corrected online version but what is in print is there. Thanks!

figured was a misprint,,,but then... it is N.Y. Thanks for picking up on that! :thumbsup:

That is like you have to buy a license, to buy a license.
No, that is not a misprint!
I am really happy to live in Canada, where everything is so simple and clear :rotf: :rotf: :bull:
Fred

contacted the nys dec and received a letter from the acting commissioner. it's a misprint. you can use a muzzleloader during regular big game season with just a big game license.

Good to hear. It has previously been that a muzzleloader (rifle) can be used during the regular season. I've been doing that for many years because my m/l rifle was a LOT more accurate than a slug gun; centerfire rifles not allowed hereabouts in the regular season.

Though rifled slug guns with the Hornady SST shells have closed and surpassed that advantage.

Back