• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Case Hardening 4140 question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on some lock kits for the Rifle Shoppe.

When case hardening 4140 steel, my temp is at 1450 packed in balsa and coconut charcoaL for 1 hour, is this correct?

At what temperature should I draw back at ? Was thinking 750, but might be too high and would lose the colors.

Much appreciated

its what was available at the local craft shop
I have never case hardened to get the marbling effect you see on some rifles/pistols . I have for a wear surface only. Charcoal can be purchased at a pet store. I think it is used somehow with fish tanks, I really don't know. It may be worth a try?

A good wood charcoal for case hardening is Royal brand lump charcoal for bbq. I’ve used it by breaking it down to 1/4” pieces and removing as much of the dust and fines as possible. Then mix it with bone charcoal that I buy from Brownells. 1375* F for an hour then drawn at 375* F for and hour gives a hard colorful finish. An 1851 replica I did the receiver, hammer and loading lever.
2015-08-20 001 2015-08-20 001 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

A good wood charcoal for case hardening is Royal brand lump charcoal for bbq. I’ve used it by breaking it down to 1/4” pieces and removing as much of the dust and fines as possible. Then mix it with bone charcoal that I buy from Brownells. 1375* F for an hour then drawn at 375* F for and hour gives a hard colorful finish. An 1851 replica I did the receiver, hammer and loading lever.
2015-08-20 001 2015-08-20 001 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Do you use distilled water for the quench ?

nice job on the receiver !

Thanks, I use city tap water most of time. Sometimes if my barrel is full I use rain water and it works as well.

Latest posts

Back