• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carving blueprint for Bedford Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I always thought that the carving on Bedford rifles represented flowering vines, but thanks to a set of blueprints found in the estate of my great, great uncle, Willie Scratcher, I now know differently. It seems that Willie moonlighted as a gynecologist after the bar closed at 2 in the morning. :shake: He must have been really familiar with the female reproductive system, because he carved it on all of his longrifles. Below is a copy of his blueprints found along with his woodcarving tools:
Bedfordcarvingplan.JPG

My question is, what do you call this school of carving?

(P.S. I hope I haven't offended anyone in my lame attempt to be humorous. I have the deepest respect for the early rifle makers. In fact, I'm trying to recreate one of their rifles right now.

I think I have been teaching biology for too long. :youcrazy: )

It's uncanny - I always thought all that rococco art was a little bland, but now I look on it in a whole new light. Suddenly I see hidden meanings - maybe those early gunmakers were a secret fellowship, passing on ancient knowledge that only they could decode ... until now (I find myself beginning to write the blurb for your international bestseller, Da Gunmaker Code, or should it be Da Gyno-Code)

Bioprof
I think your right about your uncle. In the immortal words of Archie Bunker I think he was a "groinacologist" LOL

Dave

there is a great video of President Bush's bloopers.
I think they were done to make him look stupid, but I don't care I like the man anyway.
but there is the speech where he is talking about health care and he says he supports
"GBYN's practising their love with/of women" :rotf:

I think I see where I-5 intersects with 101, but I think you have Lompoc a little too far South. Oh, and that branch that shows the old Route 1 isn't open any longer. The mud slides covered it and Claude didn't want to pay higher taxes to get it repaired. :grin: :grin:

Looks like your on the right track.
Now for the part that takes true courage.
The laying of the knife and chisel to an expensive piece of wood that you have hours invested in. Be Brave! You can do it. Just remember, these relieved carvings are actually only about 1/16 of an inch (or so) high. :)

Back