• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cap and ball break down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Rorar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I know that the cleaning process of c&b revolvers has been covered by looking at old posts. The question that I have is do the guys who say they completly take down their guns really take them all the way apart, or just remove the barrel, cylinder, and grips? If they take them all the way down is there some reference or book on how to put them back together? Thanks
James

A "complete breakdown" to me is barrel, cylinder (nipples removed too), and grips. Any further than that isn't necessary for cleaning.

HD

Huntin Dawg said:
A "complete breakdown" to me is barrel, cylinder (nipples removed too), and grips. Any further than that isn't necessary for cleaning.

Yep, same here. Occasionally, when I have nothing better to do, I might detail strip it, but that's more for a thorough lubing than anything else. They clean up just fine in soapy water without taking out all the fiddly bits.

Unless I am going to use the revolver within a day or two, I strip it down completely and clean the individual pieces. You'd be amazed at how much fouling gets into the works after shooting 50 or so rounds. :shocked2:

Regarding detailed diagrams or instructions for reassembly, unfortunately I can't help you. A quick check of our member resources did not reveal any helpful information on the subject, which is surprising. It is possible I overlooked something obvious - wouldn't be the first time. Somebody here will chime in with more help however. The folks here are the best!

If I only shoot 2 or 3 cylinder fulls I don't completly disassemble. If I shoot more than that at one time or shoot it lightly more than 2 or 3 times I completly disassemble and clean every part. These revolvers are simple mechanisms and taking them apart and putting them together again is pretty easy even for a clutz like me. All that is required is a good screw driver set. The crud does indeed make it into every crevis so occasionally disassembling the gun completly is a wise thing to do.

Don

I break mine down completely regardless of the number of rounds fired. There can be nothing more irritating than going to the range and looking forward to a good day, only to find out that a piece of debris has worked it's way into the frame and gummed up the works after a few shots. A complete breakdown assures me that the piece has been inspected and will operate. But that is just me. :thumbsup:

I clean the barrel and cylinder and spray both with WD-40. I spray the frame with WD-40 and wipe it down. The WD carrier evaporates after a few days and I then wipe it down and wipe out the chambers.........I clean the innards once in a blue moon or if I have to replace a part.........I have yet to see rust.....................Bob

If you douse or dip you weapon in water or other cleaner there is no reason to break it down to it's individual components all that often. Once a year I take off the grips and pull the cylinder and nipples and dump the whole thing in a vat of cleaning solution and let it sit then pull and use a hair dryer to dry out then oil like a sumofab**ch and wipe. I have have doing this since the 70's. I pull it(them) apart only when they need servicing like a broken part which is very seldom. I don't think I spent more than 30 bucks in parts in 30+ years.
The only weapon(s) I pull completey apart once a year are my civil war muskets since they are used in the mud, rain, snow, heat and dust. When you take a hit on the field, you can't take the time to find a spot to lay down your musket.

To me, 'complete breakdown' means every part removed, including the small action parts. How often I do that depends on how much I've used the gun and/or how long it will be stored until it's used again. No hard and fast rules, just depends on how the gun feels or functions.

Huntin Dawg said:
HD
Yeah, me too. I just pull the grips and disassemble the barrel, cylinder, nipples (sometimes, depending) and put the frame and those parts (not the grips!) in a pan of soapy water. An old toothbrush gets rid of the crud very nicely. Then a rinse under hot water and dry. Sometimes I will spray WD-40 as it is a water displacer, then oil a little later. As far as disassembly instructions, just do a Google search and you will find about everything you need. I might recommend a little book, "Percussion Pistols and Revolvers" that has all the take down instructions for most all popular pistols and revolvers, along with loads. The pictures are kinda small but there is a lot of good reading. I got mine at Amazon Books for around $5 IIRC.

Several authors I like are Dennis Adler and Sam Fadala.

Sam Fadala wrote The Black Powder Handgun years ago and it has been updated. Bigger libraries should have one or be able to borrow it for you.

Dennis Adler's first blackpowder handgun book is very nice and has great pictures and information: Colt Black Powder Reproductions & Replicas

Dennis' book covers more than just Colts.

Think it has also been updated and Dennis has done several books on black powder handguns.

There's a wonderful book on taking black powder revolvers apart and getting them back together. It's: Antique Firearms Assembly/Disassembly by David R. Chicoine
He's a gunsmith and does a great job. It covers all on the black powder revolvers and a lot more.
Fourbits

:bow: Mazo Kid ---thanks for the reference lead on that book---it's what I have been looking for. I ordered it from Amazon (my favorite people), and am looking forward to reading and using. :thumbsup:

Back