• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cannon ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikee51848

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this item up from a friend. Her father was an ex-history teacher and it had ben given to him. He then had it evaluated by an artifact collector in Gettysburg, PA who judging by it's size, estimates this relic to pre-civl war time, possibly revolutionary era.

It currently is approximately 5" in diameter and weighs approximately 19 pounds. Another note of interest is this cannon ball was in ocean water for some time. Due to the exposure to these deteriorating conditions, the cannon ball has some rust and has shrunk in size.

Anyone care to speculate? Could this have come from a shore battery or boat during the Revolution?

Solid round balls are almost impossible to date and when you ask the experts they never forget to mention that they were also used in pulverising mills. Personally I reckon the chances of finding a ball that wasn't made as a cannon shot are kinda remote, but what do I know :confused:

What the Squire has to say is very true about dating is very true. Unless they are marked, and some were, its impossible identify one to a particular country, let alone date it. However, many a shot putt has been mistaken or passed off as a cannon ball.

I use to pull the occasional CB out of the clay on the banks of the Big Muddy, the Mississippi river. But, they could have dated anywhere from the Battle for New Orleans to the American Civil War. I lived on the opposite bank of the river from the Chalmette Battlefield, where the main fighting of the Battle for New Orleans occured and close to English Turn were some of the fighting also took place.

grin.gif

CP