• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you shoot pyrodex in a flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy parnell

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can you shoot pyrodex in a flintlock?

I can't find no blackpowder here in Lincoln County North Carolina.

Advice and suggestions welcome. :)

:grin: From what I understand a flintlock does not reliably product a hot enough ignition for Pyrodex. Pyrodex is suitable for percussion guns only. But the bright side is it is an excuse to buy another gun. :v :v

Yea...I don't think you can make smoke with the pyrodex.

But, I never tried it.

Been on the Goex site....Parks&Sons Advance,NC is a long way from where I live and ...a case...that'll cost $300.

Are there any place near Lake Norman, NC that you could buy a can or two.....

Is there a member here that would want to share or go in together and get some?

Contact me on the Private Topics.

I'd like to get this rifle shooting for hunting season that's near upon us.

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

Gee Whiz..... :grin:

Fly, you're all the way in Alaska.

What's the powder situation where you live...

And if you're keeping a bunch....how do you store it?

Thanks for your help.

Bass Pro has it in Charlotte...It was $19.99 last year...

You could also go to Parks % Sons in Advance, which is just west of Winston...It's $11.55 a pound there, but it's supposed to jump 12% after October 1st...

I have a hard time getting black powder locally too. I mail order mine from www.powderinc.com. It's also a lot cheaper that way. Also, you can sometimes pick it up at a gun show, depending on the rules of the show promoter. Some allow it and some don't.

Pyrodex doesn't work well in a flinter. I tested some Pyrodex P in the pan of mine just out of curiosity and it only fires every 5 or 6 tries. And my lock throws huge showers of sparks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fired pyrodex in my flintlock once.....and it DID fire...after a 5 second delay....NEVER AGAIN !!!

Without a small "real black powder" prime in the barrel at the base of the main powder charge it will sometimes fire.
As I recall, when I mistakenly loaded some in my flintlock it took about 3 or 5 flashes in the pan (with real black powder) for the main charge to fire and as hdgarfield said that was with some delay.

Absolutely you can use it. I have used it in .40, 45, .50, .54 and .58 caliber rifles, including flintlocks in all but the .45 caliber. I have used Pyrodex P (equal to 3F) and Pyrodex RS (like 2F black) and Hodgdon Triple 7 loose powder in 2F and 3F grade. You need a black powder booster charge of about 5 grains, which it says right on the Triple 7 bottles, and you need real black powder in the pan. Then a flintlock will fire reliably. The Triple 7 powder burns hotter than real black powder, so you may need a thicker patch and/or an over-powder wad, which can be just a wadded up regular shooting patch. I have shot hundreds of rounds of these powders through my flintlocks and they are totally reliable.

What I do is fill my powder measure with the charge of Pyrodex or Triple 7, then tap it to settle it about 5 grains, and top that off with real black powder, 4F, 3F, or 2F, makes no difference, dump it down the bore, seat the ball and then prime the pan with real black powder, and 4F, 3F or 2F each will work well. It is absolutely reliable in a flintlock when loaded in this manner.

Herb said:
Absolutely you can use it. I have used it in .40, 45, .50, .54 and .58 caliber rifles, including flintlocks in all but the .45 caliber. I have used Pyrodex P (equal to 3F) and Pyrodex RS (like 2F black) and Hodgdon Triple 7 loose powder in 2F and 3F grade. You need a black powder booster charge of about 5 grains, which it says right on the Triple 7 bottles, and you need real black powder in the pan.

So, you can use a substitute as long as you ALSO USE BLACK POWDER with it? You guys crack me up. :rotf: What a screwed up system.

Many years ago when pyrodex first came out some squirrels were recomending putting 5 grains of 4F on the breach ( for ignition ) and the rest of the load on top of this ( pyrodex ) they called it duplex loads. You still had to prime with black powder. As a primitive shooter who mostly loads from a bag and horn I just couldn't understand the purpose of a substitute powder where you still had to use REAL black powder to set it off! Kind of hard to do on a trail walk or seneca run. :v

Herb,
OK,I will be the idiot that ask? Why at the cost of Pyrodex P,Pyrodex RS and especially
Triple777 would anyone want to use it when
they can get B/P for at least 1/2 the price of
the other stuff:barf:
snake-eyes:hmm:

:shake: BP is as a lot of things in Alaska much more expensive than in lower 48 . Last I paid was 16.50 per lb. And that was from club member who has it :grin: :grin: shipped in on an explosives barge. I try to keep as much as is legal. I store in a shed behind house. :grin:

Back