• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can someone ID this lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh0456

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a rifle for sale. The seller doesn't know much about it and there are no marks of any kind on it to say who made it.

I've been trying to ID the lock myself but am coming up with nothing. The strange thing to me is the screw forward of the frizzen spring. There is one connecting bolt from the back and it looks like they screwed it to the stock from the front instead of from the back?
Thanks for your time!

In almost every detail that sure looks like a Pedersoli lock, and specifically the Frontier model based on the trigger guard, triggers and what I can see of the wrist. Only difference appears to be the stock inlaying.

Thanks for the reply! The rifle itself isn't a pedersoli, but I suppose could have been put together by pieces parts.... Here are a couple more of the rifle itself.

It is a Pedersoli, the Deluxe model in fact. The one they offer now has a maple stock while the one you are looking at seems to have a walnut (European?) stock. The wire inlays may be an embellishment added by a previous owner or may be factory. Pedersoli's offerings varied over the years and this particular one isn't a current model. The wood screw, trigger guard and shape of the panel around the lock bolt are definitely Pedersoli as are the patchbox and butplate. A very nice piece but an Italian production gun, not a custom rifle and should be priced accordingly.
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sc...er-frontier-maple-flintlock-model-deluxe.html

Are you a '50 radio fan?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. That rear sight is 100% Pedersoli, too.

If someone is trying to sell you that gun as a custom build, run for the nearest door. Great gun, but about as custom built as the tennis shoes sitting here beside my chair.

Johnny Dollar said:
...and there are no marks of any kind on it to say who made it.

I suspect that's cuzz a previous owner (seller maybe?) defarbed the stampings from the barrel when they browned it.

Thanks very much for all the info! After checking the photos of the frontier, I can't agree more that it is what it is.... and yes, this was being sold as a "custom" rifle. It was on consignment. It does appear to have been re-browned at some point so I'm sure someone buffed the markings out of the barrel. That's somewhat common on Italian guns folks use for civil war reenactment. I have no idea if this was because of that or to turn a quick buck.

hawkeye2, you bet... I'm an oldie radio fan for sure. :wink: Johnny Dollar is my favorite.

Thanks again! That's why I turned to the experts.

How much are they asking for it? It looks likes a nice rifle anyway. If they're not asking to much it might be worth it to pick it up. I looked it up and It looks like Pedersoli is asking $1450.00 for this rifle.

armakiller said:
How much are they asking for it? It looks likes a nice rifle anyway. If they're not asking to much it might be worth it to pick it up. I looked it up and It looks like Pedersoli is asking $1450.00 for this rifle.

$799 and was being sold as a custom rifle which it isn't. The $1400 version has a fancy maple stock... this one has a walnut stock. Granted it has more brass than the walnut version that's being sold now, but Cabelas has them on sale right now for $549. This one needs a lot of cleanup.

JD,

The same rifle, with curly maple, and no patch box or embellishments is offered for about $1200. A plain-Jane version (which will shoot the same) is offered as you mentioned for $549 (then you add shipping). So if the barrel isn't roached, and the rifle looks like it would shoot, it would probably be worth the same as the new, plainest version, if you're willing to pay for the embellishments over the cost of new rifle.

Otherwise, save your money and by the plain version. OR find a good, used semi-custom gun in the Classified section on this forum?

LD

JD,

Though it's a production flintlock it's still a nice one. I'd let him know it's not a custom gun and try to dicker the price down. :thumbsup:

Kopfjaeger said:
JD,

Though it's a production flintlock it's still a nice one. I'd let him know it's not a custom gun and try to dicker the price down. :thumbsup:

I tried.... He clamed up. Personally I think he either knew what it was all along or doesn't want to believe it. No sweat..... There are others out there. :grin:

Back