• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"C. Smith" Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SR James

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought this rifle through Gunbroker from Jackson Arms in Dallas. Signed "C. Smith" on the top flat and "No. 110" on the left breech flat. The barrel is a .50 Getz, swamped, 46" C weight which is kind of heavy for a .50. Think I would have used a B weight. Lock is an L&R Queen Anne, all iron furnture. The rifle is nicely put together. The forearm flairs strongly at the muzzle. Overall a well made, simple rifle. Does anyone know this maker, "C. Smith"?

csmith1.jpg

csmith10.jpg

csmith2.jpg

csmith8.jpg

csmith5.jpg

csmith3.jpg

Could be Clay Smith, used to be a gunbuilder in Colonial Williamsburg.

I've checked out his website and this rifle doesn't really resemble his work as shown there.

I'm pretty sure that's Clay Smith's signature on the barrel. I met him at the Southern Longrifle Show in Williamsburg last year. The guy makes awesome rifles.

That's Clay's signature. I have one of his flintlocks in .32. Excellent craftsman.

The signatures sure seem to be the same - this link is to one on his site http://www.claysmithguns.com/Pistol_Eng2.jpg

now compare to that above 0 then I'd suggest contacting clay and see what he has to say.

FWIW - the C weight barrel would be more like most originals that tended to be heavier in the breech than many today...while there is no doubt that light rifles were made in the period, the majority of surviving guns are often in the 10 lb (+/- minus one pound category).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had looked at the pistol signature, the only one I found on his website. They are very similar; the major difference is the "S" in Smith on my rifle is cursive but I suppose he could have changed it. I will contact him to see if it is his build.

Thanks for the info on the barrel weight being more typical of originals. I didn't think about that.

It's a very well made rifle. If it was made by Clay Smith, that makes it even better

Mystery solved. I emailed Clay Smith and here is his reply:

I made it in March 1986 and it sold to G.Gedney Godwin Co. of Valley Forge, PA.
Looks like it's been traveling.
Hope you enjoy it. Thanks for letting me know where it is now.
Clay

Thanks to everyone for their help identifying it.

Latest posts

Back