• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

c.1700 Pouch - Something Different

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Jas.

58 Cal.
Reaction score
A civilian shoulder pouch, ca.1700 as purchased from a colonial harness maker or saddler.
The buckle is all handmade by me based on period originals from my study. The buckle is set to be worn across the chest of a right handed user, being reminicent of the baldric style. The strap is low slung to replicate a c.1690 image of four English soldiers wearing their pouches that way. The button is an original gasback style. The pouch is a very thin weight, all vegetable tanned calf that is used in double thickness so as to create "pouches" or veins for stuffing tow for form. This design idea was taken from a 17th century bandolier type pouch. It has an internal divider so as to separate shot from ball as is written about in more than one 18th century account.

100_1785.jpg

100_1784.jpg

100_1786.jpg

100_1797.jpg

A beautiful pouch and beautifully done.

So, the veins were purely decorative on the bandolier? Unusual.

Spence

Capn Jas, that is one of the nicest recreated bags I've seen. That being said, could we see a pic of the opened bag..Congrats, Bud :thumbsup:

Nifeman said:
Capn Jas, that is one of the nicest recreated bags I've seen. That being said, could we see a pic of the opened bag..Congrats, Bud :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. I do have a couple pics of the open bag.

100_1792.jpg

100_1799.jpg

Jack Wilson said:
I like it. Early "Tuck and Roll". :wink:

Ha! That's what we have been calling it although somewhat different in actual procedure. :grin:
I sure wish it had straight lines like that seat because it would have been a breeze. Working with the curves and getting larger as the went down was a nightmare.

I'll bet you wouldn't have to go too far to find a Dixon's Judges' Choice Ribbon to include in the picture.

Bob Gular said:
I'll bet you wouldn't have to go too far to find a Dixon's Judges' Choice Ribbon to include in the picture.

Very possible. :redface:

Now if only I can get it in my head that those entry cards have a front and back with different numbers. :rotf: :redface:

Although I have recently entered guns, I had not entered an accoutrement there since I won a ribbon in '93. ! Had no idea the cards had different numbers on each side and I was sure the judges had not picked my pouch. :haha:

Are you able to post the painting of the soldiers without causing any trouble or infridging on anyones rights?
I am working on a F&I impression and do not like the whole Belly bag thing .A sholder straped bag would be great .I love my british box for Rev War
But I am still trying to find a good box to wear over my shoulder.
Deutsch

Not only the judges, but everybody laying eyes on it picked that pouch as a winner. It's people like you that strive for perfection in historic authenticity that keep raising the bar, and consequently the quality of the entries keeps improving. Thank You.

Thank you. :redface:

Big D, check your PM's, It's quite early for what you are doing though :thumbsup:

Here is a Germanic one I did a couple of months ago.

100_1582a.jpg

100b1640a.jpg

Thanks guys. I do have a couple pics of the open bag.

100_1792.jpg

100_1799.jpg

[/quote]

That is almost a shame the top part of those tucks aren't open on the inside for storage.

DON"T take the wrong because I love the bag I could just see a place to store my powder measure, capper, a fire striker, etc., etc............

The bag is great work! I can see alot of effort went into that one! :hatsoff: I love how the bag looks aged!

Back