• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bustin plastic jugs with water

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anything better then having a day off work, and spending the morning on the range shooting milk jugs filled with water with your northwest trade gun?
the bang and then the thud and water explosion after the .600 round ball pounds the jug is too much fun.
Even better are having 2 guys show up with a .22 rifle and then blowing smoke past them as I fired. One of them gave me a dirty look. Too bad some shooters don't know the satisfaction of
shooting a flinter you built-or at least assembled-yourself.

11th corps said:
Too bad some shooters don't know the satisfaction of

:applause:

Too bad most shooters don't know the fun we have with any of our muzzleloaders.
I meet a lot of shooters who are just in awe of the whole muzzleloader concept.
I love sharing the experience and trying to recruite newbies to our sport.

HD

Yes sir! They surely do blow up. I like setting them out about 200 yards and smackin' 'em with my .58 Hawkens. :rotf:
Hedge apples are a lot a fun too.

I would love to be able to do that. But, the range I belong to does not permit anything but paper targets. Unless, of course, you are a member of the board of directors. Then - you are more equal than other members and can shoot what you want. :bull:

I like making them dance at 200 to 250 with my renegades. It gives a guy a little more confidence when getting ready for a hunt. Ron

That .600 round bal will probably do a good job on a watermelon too!

My watermelon "destruckt" load is 100 grains of 3Fg behind a 470 gr. T/C Maxi-Hunter. This load makes a watermelon disappear and you really know that you shot something :shocked2: .

It is not for the squeeeemish :shake: , just :youcrazy: people like me :haha: .

Dave

i always git guys looking at me shoot my m/l'ers at the range then come up and ask all kinds of questions :v ...............bob

11th corps

Even better are having 2 guys show up with a .22 rifle and then blowing smoke past them as I fired. One of them gave me a dirty look. Too bad some shooters don't know the satisfaction of

You sent these individuals a very positive message about ML shooters, thank you, I am very proud of your actions, wonder if they will ever join us with your actions,I seriously doubt it.

Richard Eames

Richard Eames said:
11th corps

You sent these individuals a very positive message about ML shooters, thank you, I am very proud of your actions, wonder if they will ever join us with your actions,I seriously doubt it.

Richard Eames

When I say blowing smoke past them, they were in the middle of the range line, I was on the extreme end. The wind was blowing down the line from me to them, so they got a whiff of blackpowder smoke. Not much I could do to stop that, except give up. I spoke to one of the guys-we talked about setting up targets etc. I suspect from the things he asked me these two may have not been members of our club, and as such, should not have been shooting there.

Well geez, I don't see a problem. Firing ranges are noisy, stinky, and eat up with snakes(at least mine is).I don't expect to have a range all to myself; there is always the guy who runs out to change the target with out telling anyone, the machine gunners with their AK's and AR's blasting everyones target, the young guy who stares at your wife, and the odd fellow asking to hold every ones gun. No need to get mad, that's how it is. Blowing smoke past some one might P some off, but heck, they are at a FIRING RANGE what did they expect? Little old ladies, and daisies?

I always have a good time at the range, even if they won't let me blast water jugs or melons. There aren't usually any other front-stuffers there, so I get to do a lot of show and tell. They don't notice me when I'm blazing away with an AK47 or my Tokarev, but a smoke-pole really gets their attention. I hope I'm a credit to my species and maybe convert someone to the true path of brimstone and lead!

Daisy's? The kind you smell or the kind that'l "poke your eye out"? :rotf:

Seriously though, every time that I go to the range with the .50 ML and it comes time to change targets, that's when the real fun starts! The AK & AR guys sprayed all over their targets and I have a nice small group in the black!

I always insist that they give the smokepole a try, even if they don't ask to do so. Once they see that it's not impossible to have great fun with a ML, I figure my job is done. Some first-timers take more brow-beating (just kidding) than others, but alas, none have said that they didn't appreciate the oppurtunity :wink: .

I guess that it's just my way of keeping ALL of the firearms users "together", if you know what I mean :) .

Dave

back to the range today, and I did speak with a shooter who had an ultra custom, ultra accurate .22 rifle. He also owns a muzzleloader, but told me he seldom shoots it. We discussed front stuffers, target shooting etc. We had a good discussion. I always get people staring at me when I shoot my flinter. I am not going to let strangers shoot my guns however, any more then I would expect to be allowed to shoot their weapons.
Some are interested in my m/l, some couldn't care less. shooters are a unique breed, and there are many subcultures in the shooting sports.

I am very cautious about who I allow to fire my weapons. A while back, I let a fellow shooter fire my '51 Navy clone. I almost didn't get it back. It was a tense situation. Now I don't let 'strangers' fire my weapons, regulars I meet and have gotten to know at the range; yes. Strangers; no. On a separate note, I have been known to spray and pray with my AR, but only if no one is watching. :redface:

I make it a point to never hand a stranger a loaded gun unless i have another better one on me, which i normally do, or have someone else with me that does.

Yes sir, sometimes I have to relearn lessons. I normally have a 1911 tucked away, but I'd hate to use it. I like what Mr. Miyagi from The Karate Kid movie said," The best defense? No be there!" :thumbsup:

I can appreciate your feelings with regards to the stranger thing, BUT I only shoot at private ranges where you have to be a member or a guest of a member. All members must wear an ID Badge, so are these folks really strangers?? Maybe out here in NJ where it's so hard to get a permit to purchase a handgun, we as shooters consider it just a common courtesy to shoot each other's guns, as we're all sort of a "family".

Case in point last year I got to try-out a S&W 500 Magnum. He gave me his .50 and I gave him my .44 Mag. I could go on and on with all kinds of examples with both black powder and centerfire arms...point is that we stick together like glue out here on the east coast! I have lots of "stuff", and I can't think of a single firearm that I own that I haven't lent to someone to try-out. I of course am right there with them when they shoot it :) .

I run a PPC league at one of the clubs that I belong to. I always bring extra pistols and revolvers and ammo for both, just incase someone from the club or his/her guest has a malfunction, forgot their mags, forgot their ammo, etc., etc. It's just considered friendly league operation where I'm from! I've lent new probationary members a .357 revolver, speed-loaders, ammo, holster, everything that they need in order to be a participant in the action instead of just watching on the sidelines.

At the black powder league shoot last month I loaned my son's rifle to a friend of my brother after this friend showed up to the shoot with a .45-70 Sharps with the Creedmore sight mounted upside down. He was shooting 3 feet over the top of the target frame with the .45-70 :shake: . I loaned him the trade rifle, pre-measured 70 gr. charges in tubes, caps, and a box of Maxi's. He won the entire rifle competition that day, with all of the "borrowed" stuff, instead of going home with his tail tucked between his legs :haha: . I was proud to have helped him, and now we're friends too :wink: .

As an NRA Life Member I feel that I'm just doing my little part to promote the safe handling of firearms and the shooting sports (especially black powder) in general. I take my responsibility as a mentor seriously and I always use common sense and good judgement with respect to the folks that get to play with my big boy toys. The greatest compliment someone can give me is a "thank-you for letting me try that gun". Truth be told I get a kick out of watching their faces as I "hook" them into buying a certain type of gun, especially a ML :) .

The reason I posted this is to show some folks that being a good will ambassador is easy.........all it takes is an investment in both money for the ammo and a little range time. I sincerely hope that more shooters will follow my example. In these times we all must stick together to help each other and protect our second ammendment rights. In my mind anybody that shows up to a gun range isn't a stranger, merely a new acquaintence to :bull: with :haha: .

Dave

This morning, I was shooting my new Crocket rifle. Fired three shots with a .315 Hornady RB , 25gr Pyrodex fffg and .010 patch. Decent group, but could be much better. So I changed to a .016 patch, and on the second shot of the second group ;
0714072145.jpg

All heck broke loose, about four guys blasted ALL the targets on the fifty yard line with semi autos. :shocked2: LOOK WHAT THEY DID TO MINE!! :cursing: Oh well, it's not everyday you get to see a 'Tommy Gun' fired from the hip... They were friendly enough, and made good after realizing their error. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back