• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bullet mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayja

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lee bullet mold and the bullets that i make are flat on the end that goes against the powder. the bullets that i buy from Hornady have a small concave to pack grease in.
will there be a difference in the firing? thanks

What is the difference in the weight, and shape of the two bullets? Almost all bullets will shoot to a different point of aim. How are you going to control that grease in the base from fouling your powder? And, what good will putting grease in a hollow base do in shooting, other than fill the hollow so that no wad will get stuck in it instead?

You must have a Lee REAL slug mold. It is meant to be greased well before loading. Most use a felt wad underneath that has been lubed for better accuracy (groups) The hollow base slugs are 'minie' slugs and the skirt is designed to expand into the rifling upon firing, they were meant to be easy loading. I've never used either but have read good reports on both. some put lube in the holow base of the minie for additional lubing.

Well, Hornady don't sell Minies so we can rule that out. What he has are swaged lead bullets that have a slight concave base, I've seen similar in the Hornady Cowboy lead bullets. Pretty sure that they aren't intended to hold extra lube, just there to help upset the bullet to fit the bore better.

Hornady sells a Great Plains and another minie designe bullet , name escapes me at the moment.

weight has nothing to do with the molds, both the 320 grain and the 250 grain molds are poured full of lead up to the spru and are level full when cooled and kicked out of the mold making them flat near the powder. The .50 410 grain Hornady that i bought have a little concave that i put some grease in before i shove them in the barrel.
I think that we'll use a lubed wad between the powder and the bullet.

I think you will find that wads are sticking to that greased base of the bullet, and accuracy will be adversely affected. Some have solved the problem by using a piece of waxed paper between the grease, and the wadding, as the waxed paper weighs almost nothing, and even if it were to stick, it won't affect the bullets accuracy. Usually, the wax paper does not stay stuck to the grease in the base of the bullet. Best of luck with your shooting.

we're talking about 2 different bullets, i will use grease in the bullets that i bought and have a small recess or concave in the rear that goes against the powder.. I will use wads in the bullets that i mold and are flat on the end that goes against the powder.

Hi bpb, Maybe I was being too 'traditional' in my response. To me a Minie is the style of bullet that was designed for use in Rifle-Muskets c.1840s-1860s, that is a slightly sub-bore size projectile that facilitates easy loading under battle conditions. Hornady's PA bullets are essentially the same as the Ball-ets that have been around a while....essentially an elongated RB with a cavity in the base! The Great Plains bullets do more resemble a Minie, however the company's description;

"The three-diameter bearing surface makes Hornady's Great Plains bullets easy to load while ensuring a tight fit to the bore. Pre-lubed with all-natural lube, and cold-swaged for greater accuracy. Packaged 20 per box."

tells us they are a mechanical fit bullet, rather than relying solely on expansion, to fit the bore.

Back