• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet Casting and Comp Preparation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure what I'm meant to put in here ? Is there any interest in me posting some range photos?

• Bullet casting

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 44.40 Black Powder load data

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Chase Hunter

32 Cal
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at posting a thread . . . so wish me luck.

Today I started preparation for the New Zealand Black Powder National Comps to be held in October. This is mainly a pistol event (C&B Cartridge and single shot) at 25 and 50 metres, but when time has permitted we have included Vetterli and other rifle events. I spent a few hours casting up a few hundred RCBS 44 200g FN bullets and gave the peacemaker a spring clean - including new Wolff springs. Also checked my stock of 36 cal. balls.
My bore dia across groves is 428, cylinder throats are 430 and my 429 sizer actually sizes to 428.5. I'll start load testing with 20g 3F Swiss plus filler and work up to a comfortable and more accurate load. Any comments or tips would be most welcome.

OOOPS ! Sorry about the size of the photo.
P1010006.jpeg

Any comments or tips would be most welcome.
Sure, toss the ones that don't have a solid flat base back in the pot for the next casting session.
If your seeking target accuracy, weigh them, keep those that are within +/- 1grn of average for shooting,, then work the load.
(cause that's what regional/national competitors do to win)(there is no compromise)

Oh and p.s. Thanks for sharing and good luck to ya,,

Last edited:
Thanks necchi, I'll weigh them before lubing. I'll also weigh the powder. usually I just use a scoop. I have 1000 large mag pistol primers which I'll also use. I'm pretty fussy about cases, I'll get a new batch and resize and trim them from new. The Lee factory crimp is a hand tool, gives a nice crimp. Any other advice is most welcome.

Back